[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/ I am poor as hell and I am picking up a second job,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Barnes-and-Noble-front.jpg (211KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Barnes-and-Noble-front.jpg
211KB, 1600x1200px
Hey /lit/ I am poor as hell and I am picking up a second job, and I want to know what are some of your experiences working at Barnes and Noble.

I know they have aren't that good of a company to work for and all that. I just want to work in it because it'll be quiet (I'm assuming).
>>
>>9134579

As far as retail jobs go, it's not bad. You have to shill the Barnes and Noble membership program, but these days every retail job involves trying to sell some connected membership or credit card.

If you have a decent store manager, you'll be fine. It can be a fun job. Sometimes you even get to talk about books. Keep in mind though that 95% of the people coming through the door really just want to buy the new Twilight/Harry Potter/whatever book.
>>
>>9134592
I figured as much with the Twilight/Harry Potter stuff.

I am applying to be a Bookseller, am I allowed to drink coffee on the job?
>>
File: comfypepe.png (676KB, 680x1152px) Image search: [Google]
comfypepe.png
676KB, 680x1152px
>>9134599
Nice top dubs.

>am I allowed to drink coffee on the job?

This is a question for your boss.

As a random internet person, I will say if you aren't in a red state, wear a man bun, and are willing to rock a hipster sweater and unnecessary reading glasses you might be able to make the coffee work. Like some kind of sage of the register, just here to look thoughtful and talk about Kneechee.
>>
>>9134613
I had a register job for McDonald's and I hate working at the register, that's why I am applying to be a bookseller, because I get to stock shelves and talk to people, which for a minimum wage job doesn't sound that bad.
>>
>>9134579
ok. ok. wow. just... ok. what a coincidence i happen to actually work at B&N right now and there is a lot i can tell you, here's what you'll need to say during your interview when they ask you about past experience: "i like to go around the bookstore or library and find the biggest book i can, lug it to the middle of the most populated area of the building, open the book to the middle page, lay my dick and balls down the center, and slam the book shut as hard as possible". i hope this helps, good luck anon!
>>
>>9134714
You must have had a shitty manager doing your hiring.
>>
>>9134722
ok. ok. wow. just... ok. actually i am in charge of the hiring at my B&N and it's one of the busiest B&N's in this part of my city so why dont u back the fuck off and maybe papercut your dickhole with page 208 of infinite jest
>>
>>9134579
Get a job in the kitchen of a restaurant. You don't have to deal with dumbass customers, cooks are some of the most fun people you'll ever meet amongst the lumpenproletariat, and you'll get free food which is a huge bonus for poorfags like you (and me). You'll likely have to start as a dishwasher, which kinda sucks but it's kinda nice because you can just sort of go into your own little world and bust out dishes as fast as possible (even better if you can wear headphones). Just be nice to the servers and cooks and they'll probably do what they can to help you when you need it because they all know the dishwasher is the shittiest job in the place, often being given all sorts of shit chores nobody else wants to do like mopping the back of the house and cleaning the bathrooms. If there's a lull, watch the cooks do what they do and aak questions. You'll be a cook in no time.
>>
>>9134758
I'm in college, it's just I don't have enough for housing and loans and stuff, it's to make rent. I can eat right now.
>>
>>9134758
But thanks for the response. I'll definitely apply to those too. I'm applying to everywhere around me, B&N is just preferred.
>>
>>9134773
>>9134780

Gotcha. Well even if you have the money to eat, working in a restaurant is a great way to cut down on food expenses anyway.

Might not be the best job for a college student though, especially depending on how much you value sleep. You'll probably often have to work pretty late hours. Although I work as a teacher and found a place willing to give me basically the exact hours I want, so I very rarely work later than 10 on a school night.
>>
>>9134579
>Poor
>Already have a job
Jesus Christ, did you spend all your money on crack? How on earth does your budget look?
>>
>>9134579
It's not really quiet. Also I got written up for reading on the job. Some of the people who come in can be interesting though. Old people looking for someone to talk to, lit girls asking for your opinion, etc.
>>
It's a shitty job. But you know that, so I won't tell you.
>>
>>9135673
I just have work study which is nothing, since most of my classes are at times when the place I work for is open, plus maximum of 10 hours per week. I just got a lease for my next years apartment, and I owe a lot for school loans right now. I'm CS so later it'll be fine with my income, but in the mean time no.
>>
>>9134714
>>9134740
ok. ok. wow. just... Can you stop doing this in every fucking thread?
>>
>>9134599
Are there jobs out there where you can't drink coffee?
>>
>>9136401
ok. ok. wow. just... you are really pissed off
>>
yeah me too duder
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.