[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hold me, /lit/, I think my whole materialist world view is breaking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Ascension-of-Our-Lord.jpg (31KB, 450x528px) Image search: [Google]
Ascension-of-Our-Lord.jpg
31KB, 450x528px
Hold me, /lit/, I think my whole materialist world view is breaking apart.

Why is spacetime? I always took it for granted, but I'm now asking myself these questions, since we seem to be on a quest of finding what is within each smaller order of particles.

None of that matters though, because we still don't know why these things exist, why they are. Could it simply be that they are, without another materialistic explanation?

Materialism doesn't appear to fully explain reality and if that is true, then I am afraid my inner atheist may be challenged. I mean, if the metaphysical parts of reality, that clearly exist such as consciousness, dreams and spacetime, require a different set of explanations, then is that.. god?
>>
>>9129476
>Why is spacetime?
because of God or you go to hell for eternity
>>
>>9129476
What do you think of this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2ULF5WixMM
>>
>>9129476
>Why is spacetime?

Because your biology demanded it. The meat and nerves you are made of can experience spacetime many ways: memory, deja vu (faulty memory), dreams, waking, boredom, unconsciousness (no-time), death, etc.
>>
>>9129502
I'll give it a Not Carli Claire out of 10.
>>
>>9129502
You know this whole causality bullshit escapes me to this day. Hume's skepticism is correct here, too.

Only because we as observers seem to put a notion of A+B=C, therefore C-B=A onto this grand picture of reality, does not mean that is how reality really is. It is just our own bias to view it that way, by which method can we determine causality is independent of human observers? We can't.

Therefore to argue that the universe is built on only a causal principle is so dumb to me, exactly for the reasons OP tried to show. If materialism was able to give correct explanations, there could not be any other principle other than causality.
>>
>>9129476
Honestly OP nobody knows. Materialism is a very reliable hypothesis (especially in the sciences) but it is not logically rigorous whatsoever. As many have pointed out Hume hit the nail on the head centuries ago concerning causation. All you can hope for is probable knowledge and at that you will be left unsatisfied.
>>
>>9129519
>Carli Claire
unrelated but pls don't bully her
>causality, Hume, etc
Sure, you can be infinitely skeptical, to the point where it's impossible to prove anything. That's not incredibly useful, however. The cosmological argument assumes that you accept basic principles of formal logic first: if you don't then it probably won't convince you.
Also note that Causality != PSR, at least not exactly. It's the difference between X causes Y and Y has an explanation.
>>
>>9129561
>>9129536
Sorry, forgot to (You) you
>>
Read up on TOE

Also we are mostly empty space if we just look at it from the atomic level. Quantum is more fucked up.
>>
>>9129476
This OP is so retardedly confused I don't know where to begin
>>
Carl Jung, OP. He has the answers you need as the doubting atheist you are.
>>
>>9130170
How does Jung cover this?
>>
>>9129476
>None of that matters though, because we still don't know why these things exist, why they are. Could it simply be that they are, without another materialistic explanation?
just stop trying to impute meaning into everything, problem solved
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.