[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>What else? Well, Harold Bloom is a twerp. >So, audio

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: Neil-Gaiman-2.jpg (310KB, 908x1208px) Image search: [Google]
Neil-Gaiman-2.jpg
310KB, 908x1208px
>What else? Well, Harold Bloom is a twerp.

>So, audio books. And once again, Harold Bloom demonstrates his twerphood to the world. "Deep reading really demands the inner ear as well as the outer ear," said Harold Bloom, the literary critic. "You need the whole cognitive process, that part of you which is open to wisdom. You need the text in front of you." From this we learn that art and wisdom only go in at the eyes. What comes in by the ear is manifestly a lesser experience. The corollary, of course, is that real writing gets written down by the hand, and only inferior, wisdom-less writing gets dictated by the mouth, which is why Paradise Lost must have been rubbish...

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>9119132
>writing gets dictated by the mouth, which is why Paradise Lost must have been rubbish...

It was still meant to be read though. It was dictated to a writer, it wasn't a transcript of a oral poem like Beowulf or The Iliad.

He'd have been better to compare a radio play or recitation of an oral poem to an audiobook than use that example.
>>
Honestly, homomensch is the harris of lit imhho
>>
The Gay Man just fired some warning shots because he knows B-Dawg despises all of his works. Deep down Gaiman knows he's nothing short of a subpar pop writer without a message or purpose.
>>
>>9119210
Gayman is a terrible writer but a writer with a 'message or purpose' sounds even worse, jesus.
>>
Milton would have written Paradise Lost the usual way if he hadn't been fucking blind Neil.
Don't bully Neil though he was a favourite of mine when I was younger.
>>
>>9119229
Tell me why Tolstoy is even worse than Gaiman.
>>
>>9119132
He's basically right desu. Under Bloom's autistic rules blind people can't experience books """properly""" at all. Plus most stuff we have from antiquity was passed down orally anyway, not just Milton.
>>
>>9119132
I don't know if Bloom literally meant that you need text in front of you. Bloom seems to be saying you just need to think about what you read.
>>
>>9119311
Why should we simply accept the fact that blind people can appreciate literature as the rest of us?
>>
>>9119245
Gayman never got called out by Orwell for showing his single-minded dullness when trying to criticize Will.I.Am Shakespeare.
>>
>>9119229
Yes, we should reduce writing to the equivalent of mindless TV, something to just enjoy for enjoyments sake without any value that lasts longer than the moment of immediate experience.
>>
>>9119132
Writing is a technology. Sound being a semi-permanent medium was unimaginable to the Greeks, many of whom (Plato, for example) thought signified the end of memory, as orators would no longer have to rely upon it. He wasn't wrong; our memories have surely been put to task by the reliance on quickly-locatable information. However, what writing does is allow the displacement of speaker from audience to a near-infinite degree. The context of the message is now without limit by time or space, and we can "hear" the voice that was once bound by the recitation and the performance that heralded it. Your "inner ear" is that which recognizes the intention of the author and embeds it into interpretation. Bloom frustrates me too, though - it's like he makes jokes you can't tell whether he actually gets: I remember when extolling the greatness of Shakespeare he said "The Bard is surely as great of an original storyteller as was Homer"... and that was in the mid-nineties, so way too early for the kind of meta-irony it would imply.
>>
>>9119311
wtf?!? I hate blind people now!!!
>>
>>9120697
I've always hated blind people, even before it was cool.
>>
>>9119311
That's why they're handicapped...
If they could do everything non-deaf people can they wouldn't be deaf would they?
>>
>>9121860
Blind* not deaf, sorry.
>>
>>9119311
>Under Bloom's autistic rules blind people can't experience books """properly""" at all.
bloom is right about blind "people"

take them outside and shoot them against a wall
>>
File: harold-bloom-9216064-1-402.jpg (165KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
harold-bloom-9216064-1-402.jpg
165KB, 1200x1200px
>>9119132
Leave Bloom alone. He's a good boy.
>>
>>9119132
I wish "writing" had never been invented so that I could watch the confused eyes of gender studies fucks trying to follow Derrida and his spastic friends when they ramble hour after hour without anyone being able to recall a single sentence at the end.

Sometimes writing is nothing more than a cop out while the talent of the Greek and Roman orators is forever lost.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.