[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck do I need to do to understand this shit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

What the fuck do I need to do to understand this shit?

How do I into poetry?
>>
Why do you want to into poetry, bud?
>>
File: On Books.jpg (981KB, 1660x2156px) Image search: [Google]
On Books.jpg
981KB, 1660x2156px
>>
>>9118890
I feel like I'm missing out.
>>
>>9118884

end notes, dante, dislike of romantic poets
>>
>>9118884
wittgenstein helps
>>
>>9118884
An exaggerated sense of self-grandeur, anti-semitism and an extensive knowledge of classical rape scenes in literature or myth
>>
>>9118884
deep seated hatred of women
>>
>>9118884
fuck loads of ether
>>
File: pot.jpg (158KB, 981x1015px) Image search: [Google]
pot.jpg
158KB, 981x1015px
>>9118884
Serious reply here OP, start with Prufrock. It's pretty intuitive, but if you need help, go to Genius.

T.S. Eliot is a difficult read. His poetry is filled with intertextuality and odd metaphors. You'd be better off reading the entirety of Spring and All if you want a better start into Modernism or poetry as a whole.

Don't be discouraged if you don't "get" it. Poetry doesn't necessarily subscribe to the idea of a plot or traditional meaning in the sense that literature does. With poetry, you're looking to get a feel of how the poet thinks. How they processes reality. Once you think of it that way, it's abstract nature will open up to you. Good luck!
>>
Can someone recommend a really good general all purpose introduction to the analysis and understanding of poetry? Is the Poetry Handbook by John Lennard any good? It was on a cambridge recommended reading list but Unis can be stupid sometimes.
>>
>>9118992
Honestly, a one-size-fits-all approach to poetry really isn't the best way to go about it. There's such an enormous stylistic range that it would be erroneous to assume one mode of analysis of a particular poem would be just as suited to another. Best thing you can do is start off by reading Shakespearean verse/poetry, or anything with metrical consistency or straightforward rhymes, so you can recognise different metres and poetic forms, and then go through its images and expressions with a fine-tooth comb. Pay attention to the role of the speaker - are they a discrete individual? Is the poet writing in a variety of different voices? To what extent can we trust the authority of their perspective? Historical/mythological knowledge is useful, particularly if the poem depends upon context-specific references, but they should always be used to serve your own analysis of the poem itself, rather than reinforcing the intentions of the poet.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.