[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>gift from a friend tonight >thought it was a ratty book

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 20170217_013405.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170217_013405.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>gift from a friend tonight
>thought it was a ratty book
>first edition '54
>MFW
>>
>>9116647
you've got a good friend
>>
File: aids.jpg (249KB, 730x798px) Image search: [Google]
aids.jpg
249KB, 730x798px
Nice.

Check 'em
First edition Bound For Glory, Heart of A Dog, House of Dolls, and a fancy 1950s slip-case edition of Siddhartha.
>>
Any more antique books?
>>
>>9116700
give me that Heart of the Dog!
>>
Wow, a first edition from Random House? That must be worth almost one whole dollar!
>>
>>9116700

>First edition of Heart of A Dog
>not in Russian

хммм...
>>
>>9116700
Mmmmmmmmmm That edition of Heart of A Dog.
Is that the Ginsberg Translation?
>>
>>9116754

I found a Marx and Engels collection in an antique bookshop a few days ago. Letters & articles about art, literature and their place in a communist society. First edition, printed in 1946, Budapest Hungary. Some pages were misprinted and needed a correction, so at some point a piece of brown paper was added to the book, and there are some pencil marks on a few pages. I don't know who left those though.

Backstory: Am Hungarian. Hungary was occupied by Soviets in 1945. That year, they've sent up to 600.000 to labor camps, 200.000 of whom died as a result. 1946-ish they "finally" started to look like a permanent occupation force, complete with propaganda. I have one of the first examples of such propaganda. Feels good man.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow if thread is still up.
>>
>>9116647
That's awesome OP. The Faulkner Reader is a great source and intro to Faulkner and it was a very important work in reviving Faulkner's recognition to a new generation. It's a huge reason why Faulkner is studied today. Even cooler cause it's a first edition.

>>9118524
Neat! How much did it cost you?
>>
>>9118541

1200 huf or ~4 dollars. There are some old postcards and papers from the late 1800's for half of that. It's quickly becoming my favorite bookstore.
>>
>>9118541
thanks, anon. I'm looking forward to reading it at some point. Too much to read; too little time.
>>
>>9118739
>>9118524
Best places for used books in Budapest? Where did you get this? Moving there later in the year.
>>
>>9116647
>all this materialism

absolutely heretical
>>
>>9119435

Libri Antikvárium near Ferenciek square and Könyvudvar near Astoria by far imo. These are the places I never leave disappointed. The inner city (especially the V., but also VII. and VI. district) has lots of antique bookshops though. You can spend a day just walking the streets, going from store to store. Some of them sell 53 variations of the Bible in the V. as many tourists come to see the Bazilika and the church at Ferenciek square, so get used to the face of Jesus. Nyugat Antikvárium and Ex-libris are also fine but I prefer the others.

I've heard good things about antikvarium . hu, but I like to actually shop instead of just ordering books.

If you don't speak Hungarian: Look for "Antikvárium" and "használt könyv".

I bought this specific book at the Libri Antikvárium.
>>
File: TFW1.png (279KB, 898x790px)
TFW1.png
279KB, 898x790px
>>9119443
>tfw too intelligent for first editions.
>>
>>9117504
>>9118062
>>9118473
Why is russian literature so good
Dostoevsky, Bulgakov, Chekov, even Tolstoy
>>
>>9120484
Lacrimogenesis (Birth from tears). When you are constantly conquered, enslaved, and oppressed for the entire history of your race, Your culture produces some great minds.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.