[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm interested in war literature that explains mass army

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (260KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
260KB, 1000x563px
I'm interested in war literature that explains mass army combat. I've recently been trying to play a strategy game (pic related), but I don't understand at all the theory behind battlefield tactics.

To be clear, I'm not interested in modern warfare or squad-level tactics (I was an 11B in the Army with more engagements than I can count). I'm interested in the strategy used with battlefield formations starting in the medieval through to the civil war (I'm alright with firearms as long as its civil war or earlier).

So, what war literature do you suggest? To be clear I'm primarily interested in modern scholars analyzing military movement theory on outdated tactics. I would also be interested in source material from the eras.
>>
>>9116111
This is very era and region specific, but Chandler's "the campaigns of Napoleon" is basically multiple diagrams and maps of every one of Napoleon's battles (multiple maps for longer or especially dynamic engagements) accompanied by a coherent narrative of the campaigns--if not a holistic picture of Napoleon himself, his politics, etc. The ebook is passable, but IMO the print edition is a must if you want to really understand the diagrams.

I hope it suits what you're looking for!
>>
I'm doing a dissertation on the connections between military concepts and literature and how we can read lit thru military concepts. some of my reading list is:
Paul Virilio - pure war
Eric Schlosser - Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety
Peter Paret - Makers of Modern Strategy from Machiavelli to the Nuclear Age
John Keegan - The Mask of Command: Alexander the Great, Wellington, Ulysses S. Grant, Hitler, and the Nature of Leadership
>>
>>9116183
i dunno if this helps, but books like michael herr's dispatches and i forget the author but the book is called the laotian fragments seek to try and emulate the experience of the vietnam war both formally and content-wise.

also read sven lindqvist's a history of bombing it does interesting formal experiments as well
>>
Read War and Peace
>>
>>9116130
>Chandler's "the campaigns of Napoleon"

Damn. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm still open to further suggestions for different eras, but I will be dropping the $90 to get this tonight. Thanks for turning me onto it.

>>9116183
Very intriguing. I'll take a look at this list and see which ones interest me. Thanks for the suggestions.
>>
>>9116214
>Thanks for turning me onto it.

Glad I could help! FYI I've been looking to get a hardcopy myself, and have found a few used ones on abebooks/ebay going for more like $50-60. Usually they have banged up dustjackets, but unfortunately that's been almost universal among the copies I've seen, given that it's been out of print (except for like Easton press editions) for 40ish years.

Cheers!
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.