[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this book an assualt on analytic philosophy or am I misreading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Crimeandpunishmentcover (1).png (435KB, 417x640px) Image search: [Google]
Crimeandpunishmentcover (1).png
435KB, 417x640px
Is this book an assualt on analytic philosophy or am I misreading it? Im on part 5 right now, and it seems like the major theme is that rational thinking and logic is completely removed from human nature and will lead you to bad ideas. (Ex. You can come up with a completely logical and rational reason to murder a pawnbroker but it doesnt mean its the right thing to do). What are your thoughts?

Btw I dont care about your own personal opinions on analytic philosophy or morality, Im just looking for input on what Dostoyevsky was trying to convey.
>>
>>9115964
You don't know what analytic philosophy is. And no.
>>
>>9115968
Is analytic philosophy not heavily focused on logic and reason removed from phenomenology? Because thats what it seems like Dosto is critisizing here
>>
>>9115964
The reason I think this btw, is because I just finished the part of the book where Porfiry lectured Rask about how the youth are so in love with their own logic and formulations, but how logic will fail you in the end because it cant account for everything. Specifically he talks about how he catches criminals because they rely on their own reason and wit to get away with crimes but they always forget to take into account unexpected variables and human nature, their own psychology betrays them in the end and gives them away
>>
>>9116062
I wouldn't say it's so much about logic vs. humanity as it is about abstracted morality and sense of ego vs. "innate" morality and self
>>
>>9115972
"analytic philosophy" per se wasn't a thing when Dosto was alive
>>
>>9115972
>>9116086
(Utilitarianism, however, was a thing...hint hint OP!)
>>
>>9116071
Ah ok. This is kind of what I was trying to articulate, but Im very poory spoken

>>9116086
Yes, Im aware the analytic and contiental werent really things in his time, but it seems to me like he was critisizing the type of thiniking that would later be called analytic
>>
>>9116110
yeah, you could certainly draw a line between Bentham, Mill, and later Anglophone philosophy.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.