[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>reading books over 1 year old How does it feel to be completely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_5483.jpg (70KB, 800x472px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5483.jpg
70KB, 800x472px
>reading books over 1 year old
How does it feel to be completely out of touch with contemporary literary culture?
>>
I couldn't read at all when I was under 1 year old. Am I a pleb?
>>
>>9115073
Feels good, desu
>>
>>9115077
Yes.
>>
>>9115083
Sad!
>>
Ha, I forgot about that movie. Was it actually good?
>>
>>9115077
made me giggle
>>
>>9115327
All the critics were ecstatic, so probably not.
>>
>>9115073
I have way too much to catch up on to worry about contemporary lit. Started Don Quixote today, so seeing as how it's the first (and best) modern novel, I won't have to go far beyond it.
>>
>>9115327
I liked it. Definitely worth watching if you like DFW anyway
>>
>>9115354
>>9115327
You cannot be a fan of DFW and enjoy it. It would imply the thrust of his work was lost on you.
>>
>>9115350
Doesn't it make you sad to have no connection with cultures as they occur, and only look at them in retrospect, after they are untouchable, unchangeable? Wouldn't you rather be a part of something, rather than a gawker in a frozen museum?
>>
>>9115382
Tbh I've only read a couple of his short stories, I've barely started the Infinite Meme.

What was so wrong about the movie?
>>
>>9115327
I didn't hate it.
>>
>>9115389
You spend more time engaging with contemporary culture by not sitting inside reading a book of narrower scope than a lived life.
>>
Hey guys I am new to this place. So I love to read books. Historical romans are my favorites. At the moment I am reading the uthred saga. I love it.

But I also want to read from other genres. I also did but I always go back to the historical romans. I really loved "the power of the dog" from don winslow.

Anything comparable? It was as if I got to know another gritty world full of and bestiality. It was very breathtaking reading through it.

Sorry for my bad english.
>>
>>9115389
Quality literature is timeless. That's what makes good literature to begin with. You can relate to these people despite the times.
>>
>>9115428
escape while u can ;_;
>>
>>9115428
If Romans and hedonism are your thing, try the Twelve Caesars.
>>
>>9115421
One should engage with culture by ignoring one of the most powerful forms of art

Fucking kek. Obviously I wasn't saying you should spend all your time inside reading.

>>9115446
Sure, old books are still good art, but I think there's a value to being engaged with your contempararies that we often forget.
>>
>>9115428
Start with the greeks.

Wait, did you think I meant Plato? No, the contemporary Greeks (they're still around, believe it or not).
>>
>>9115479
That first sentence was supposed to be greentext
>>
>>9115421
>I haven't left the house for a week, and have spent all my time reading books and watching Seinfeld.
>I decided to go outside, live life.
>A dog bit me.
>I have decided to spend yet another week reading books that are more than one year old.
>>
>>9115457
>>9115468
>>9115487
I probably used the wrong word by saying romans... It is german and stands for novels.
>>
>>9115073
literature progresses by the decade. its a jake brake form of art
>>
>>9115543
>written in 1979
Fuck off to reddit. We only read books From at the earliest 2016, sometimes 2015 if it's really good.

>>9115552
What do you mean?
>>
>>9115566
Wow, I guess he actually did fuck off to, presumably, reddit. Good for him, I guess.
>>
>>9115566
i know jake brake isn't an academic term, but google it.

i'm just saying we get a hit like IJ and it shoves the field up some. eventually we'll get another work that will be picked apart by professors and poets and deem it as a milestone in literature
>>
>>9115579
What was the most recent milestone in your opinion?
>>
>>9115591
probably IJ. it got a lot of hype. that's all people really want, right? they want people to tell them it's genius and get drawn to it.

i'd like to find someone who picked a book up by the cover alone, or the synopsis on the back of a book.
>>
>>9115633
There has to have been more great works recently that's a 20 year dry period. I doubt you could find that anywhere else in the past century
>>
>>9115639
i'm sure there are, but nothing like with the momentum of IJ. i can bet there's a genius string of thoughts in a diary somewhere of some random nobody that would blow up, but it's nothing without recommendation
>>
>>9115077
Audibly kek'd
>>
>>9115479
Literature is far from being one of the most powerful forms of art in contemporary times.
>>
What are some good contemporary authors?
>>
File: IMG_5488.jpg (18KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5488.jpg
18KB, 183x275px
>>9115721
>>9115710
>>
>>9115747
if you're 12
>>
I follow Megan Boyle on YouTube™
>>
>>9115759
Is it your first day on /lit/, bud?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.