[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I bother to read all those big boring pretentious books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: 245.jpg (45KB, 1333x900px) Image search: [Google]
245.jpg
45KB, 1333x900px
How do I bother to read all those big boring pretentious books I'm supposed to read or else I'm a pleb? It's so boring. I mean stuff by Dickens, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, the Greeks, and almost anything written before 1900.
>>
>>9114068
Find the good ones, duh.
>>
Just don't bother, brainlet.
>>
File: IMG_0741.jpg (93KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0741.jpg
93KB, 900x900px
Kill yourself
>>
>dostoevsky
>boring
he has at least 2 very short, easy and enjoyable works which are also considered his most popular and most Dostoevsky dostoevsky works respectively.
>>
> and almost anything written before 1900.
AKA economics before Irving Fisher and John Keynes made it all a big math equation

But no, seriously, J.S. Mill and Ricardo were the shit.
>>
>>9114068
>Dickens
He wrote serialised sentimental novels - Victorian equivalents of soap dramas.
>Dostoevsky
A mentally ill (Geschwind syndrome) degenerate (compulsive gambler, possibly paedophile).
>Tolstoy
Raped his slaves and then wrote treatises on morality.
>the Greeks
Pedos, all of them.
So don't bother, OP.
>>
>>9114068
More like, how do I read almost anything that was written after 1900?
desu you're supposed to read these things because you identify with the ideas or the movement they belong to, if you can't function like that then sorry to say you're a brainless HS student who plays too many video games.
I didn't even fucken go to school, my interest in this shit is purely organic. I suggest developing a real fucking world-view and not being a passive agnostic consumer retard, maybe then you'll actually give a shit and genuinely want to read literature that helps you put together a picture of reality that you can believe in.
>>
File: 1487156961777.png (14KB, 160x140px) Image search: [Google]
1487156961777.png
14KB, 160x140px
just despook yourself of the pleb/patrician dichotomy

you do not need to prove anything
>>
If thw insufferable shitposting hadnt lasted so long I'd say we were being raided, but this thread has been resurrected weekly for months now.

To anyone who genuinely wonders questions like these: get a different hobby. There are worst things than being a pleb... such as being a dedicated troll of /lit/.
>>
>>9114200
behavioral economics the best

>>9114068
consign yourself to 200-300 page Modernism and work backwards so you can get the references
>>
File: 1475150522247.png (615KB, 632x1756px) Image search: [Google]
1475150522247.png
615KB, 632x1756px
Right now you probably haven't read many books, it's hard to judge the entire medium when you hardly know what it is. It's like someone who played 4 videogame series, hated them all, then said he doesn't like videogames. Books stretch back to the dawn of civilization and if you take the time to explore you might find a period or genre or some authors you genuinely enjoy.

It doesn't have to be fun, it's about enriching yourself. Eventually you may find yourself enjoying books, but even if you never do that doesn't mean you should reject the entire medium. There are plenty of things that are good for you that aren't fun, like exercise, errands and chores, eating healthily, maintaining a good sleep schedule, studying. Same as with most hobbies if you never challenge yourself you'll always be stuck at a basic level consuming entry level stuff.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.