[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books you wished had been recommended to you when you were 15.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: pg-31-sophies-world-4.jpg (52KB, 488x768px) Image search: [Google]
pg-31-sophies-world-4.jpg
52KB, 488x768px
Books you wished had been recommended to you when you were 15.

For me,
>Sophie's World by Jostein Gaardner

If I had read this back then, it would have helped a lot, both for my mad teenage mind and for my interest in actual philosophy. Did anyone read this back in the day?
>>
I'm only 18. Would it still be enjoyable? Why is it suited for 15 y/os?
>>
>>9112932
I still find it enjoyable. I've read some of the actual philosophers cited in this, but it's good to just blast through something for the fun of it and kind of gives you a full picture of 3000 years of Western Philosophy without getting bogged down while at the same time not trivializing it either.

It would have explained a lot to me when I was younger. They're universal questions no matter how well read you are, so I don't get bored. And it reminds you what it was like to have that inquisitive childish innocence.
>>
Yeah, I read it when I was 14 or so. Don't remember anything about the philosohpy, just the spooky story and the atmosphere.

The idea of secret knowledge passed on by books, confusing and magical worlds that you choose to explore - outside of the school system - that was the main gift it gave me.
>>
I got bored of it, I thought that the plot was hideous.

>Phenomenology of spirit.
Every 15 year old should read it.
>>
File: montaigne.jpg (42KB, 323x499px) Image search: [Google]
montaigne.jpg
42KB, 323x499px
>>
>>9112889
I must have been 17 or 18 when I read it and remember skipping all of the narrative sections eventually.
>>
>>9112889

Yep, when I was 14 during spring. Gave birth to my interest in philosophy. I still have great personal affection for it, that time in my life was remarkably magical, and this book was no small part of that. I reread it every three years or so, always in may.

I'm not sure how suited it would be for older people. Some of my friends tried it in their late teens and didn't like it.
>>
>>9112889
when I was 15 and a super edgy screamo faggot my dad threw me a copy of the catcher and the rye and told me he read it around my age and I should check it out. not sure why I didn't tell him to fuck off and that books were for faggots. I read it and it was a really good thing. I realized I'm not special and after that I just became a normal person. thanks dad you stupid retard.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.