[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-389780 23 >His Dark Materia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: his.jpg (22KB, 300x434px) Image search: [Google]
his.jpg
22KB, 300x434px
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38978023

>His Dark Materials follow-ups announced by author Philip Pullman

>The new trilogy is called The Book of Dust and the first novel will come out in October, 17 years after the last instalment.

>In a separate interview Mr Pullman said: "I know from their letters and tweets that my readers have been waiting patiently (mostly) for The Book of Dust for a long time.
"It gives me great pleasure and some excitement at last to satisfy their curiosity (and mine) about this book.

>"At the centre of The Book Of Dust is the struggle between a despotic and totalitarian organisation, which wants to stifle speculation and inquiry, and those who believe thought and speech should be free."

Post books you loved as a kid.
>>
Will and Lyra's romance better be a big focus, or i'm not buying these.
>>
>>9108438
Amber Spyglass scene with Will and Lyra in the grove losing their innocence was my first tug. I cried a bit, as I remember
>>
>books supposedly against religion and god
>literally have angels, demons and god in them
>>
>>9108449
Didn't the last book end with being said that they never met again?

>the struggle between a despotic and totalitarian organisation, which wants to stifle speculation and inquiry, and those who believe thought and speech should be free.

Wasn't that the not-Christians from the original series?
>>
>>9108485
>Amber Spyglass scene with Will and Lyra in the grove losing their innocence was my first tug
Will's too, eh?
>>
>>9108505
truth

>>9108496
>Nietzsche is Christian because he says "God is Dead", and that means God EXISTS
Checkmate atheists, etc.
>>
>>9108500
>Didn't the last book end with being said that they never met again?
Shit, did it?
I don't remember.
>>
Well I'm buying it. The Amber Spyglass made my heart ache when I read it as a young un.
>>
>>9108438
But it ended great I don't want more of it
>>
I feel like a stupid fucking fangirl. How do I repress this feeling and get back to my usual cynicism?
>>
>>9108449
this, i want to renew my childhood tears
>>
>>9108496
I mean, the angels are a bunch of whining queers who die if you splash water on them and God is a decrepit Benjamin Button infant-husk who's killed by a puff of air when his crib's opened, but that's pretty much the biblical narrative, right?
>>
>tfw you started talking about Will's and Lyra's romance and started a circlejerk on /lit/
feels great desu. I remember feeling so strange after reading The Amber Spyglass because I was about 11 years old and didn't quite get what they were talking about but felt that it was something important.
>>
>>9108438
I never read His Dark Materials but bought a lovely hardback edition of the trilogy. Would I still appreciate this book even though I don't really like YA fiction? I heard it was a trilogy worth making an exception for.
>>
>>9109026
It definitely is t b h
>>
>>9109026
To be honest as an adult it'll just come across as shitty genre fiction trying too hard to be edgy with very few new ideas. I'll probably read these sequels but I'm under no illusions that I'd probably not give them a second look had I not read the originals aged 10.
>>
>>9109097
This
>>
>>9109097
>genre fiction trying too hard to be edgy with very few new ideas
It's worthwhile avoiding pretty much everything from the 70's and 90's because of this.
>>
>>9109003
Jup, he is satanist.
>>
>>9109097
It felt magical as a child so a bit ago I listened to the audiobook on youtube. If I hadn't done that, I'd recommend it as a masterpiece of children's literature but through an adult's eyes, yeah, >>9109097 is right. I couldn't name a single amazing quality about it, although it's solid writing, has deep-ish themes and is still a cut above everything else, including Harry Potter.
>>
>>9108438
>I ran out of money
>>
>be me
>12-13
>see a lot of stuff about love and such, never really understand it
>even fapped, never really connected it to love
>read HDM
>read Amber Spyglass
>holyfuck.webp
>suddenly get it
>understand everything
>why can't I stop crying
>>
What other novels do Young Love well?
>>
>>9110287
Lolita
>>
>>9109097
And here comes the jaded dickbag with his whiny complaints. A bit late this time, aren't we?
>>
I loved the books before I was old and mature enough to realize it was anti-Christian propaganda. I'm sure the "despotic and totalitarian organisation" in the next one will be some kind of Church, not some revolutionary organization based on communism, for example, or a SJW militant group.

Not really excited.
>>
>>9110526
Everything is propaganda against something if you nitpick hard enough. The message is opposed to organized religion but I would hardly call it a propaganda piece.

That said, I wish he would speak out against the commies. That's about the edgiest thing someone can do nowadays. I swear leftists can't handle criticism.
>>
>>9108555
Yeah if I remember it ends with them both going back to their own worlds and they close up all the windows between dimensions.
>>
>>9108438
Why do we need more YA trash? Pullman should've never written anything to begin with. HDM is fedora-tier garbage teaching young adults to hate god and priming them for Cultural Marxist subversion.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.