[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Madame Bovary is one of the best books I have ever read. Where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: images-207.jpg (27KB, 321x458px) Image search: [Google]
images-207.jpg
27KB, 321x458px
Madame Bovary is one of the best books I have ever read.

Where do I go from here if I want to continue to read Flaubert?
>>
>>9108111
Flobert Bovson
>>
You go to a library and get some more Flaubert.
>>
>>9108111

Sentimental Education. Be warned. Frederic Moreau is one of the most insufferable characters of all literature.
>>
>>9108111
You read Temptation of St. Antony and are completely shocked and confused for a few years
>>
>>9108111
Do you even L'Éducation Sentimentale bro?
>>
>>9108111
L'éducation sentimentale : great book, a classic, not a page turner and not for kiddies who lack attention. I guess you'll enjoy it if you liked Madame Bovary.

Short stories "Trois contes" : good too, probably not as great as Madame Bovary. Read them if you're looking for something easier.

Bouvard et Pécuchet : very different and very funny. Two friends who are losers wanna... what do they want ? Hard to tell. They just wanna make something. Become someone, become experts in anything. Live ? - Anyway, they remain losers and get bored or fail at everything they try. It's a comedy, sort of. Very smart one. Not a monument like Madame Bovary, but great if you wanna laugh at the protagonists.
>>
>>9110153
Madame Bovary, L'Éducation Sentimentale, Un Coeur Simple (in Trois Contes), Salammbo are all essentials.
>>
>>9111151
Les Correspondances, also.
>>
>>9111151
is there a flowchart for him?
>>
>>9108111
What is essential in art remains its perfection of existence, its production of perfection and plenitude; art is essentially affirmation, blessing, deification of existence -- What does a pessimistic art signify? Is it not a contradictio? -- Yes. -- Schopenhauer is wrong when he says that certain works of art serve pessimism. Tragedy does not teach "resignation" -- To represent terrible and questionable things is in itself an instinct for power and magnificence in an artist: he does not fear them -- There is no such thing as pessimistic art -- Art affirms. Job affirms. -- But Zola? But the Goncourts? Flaubert? -- The things they display are ugly: but that they display them comes from their pleasure in the ugly -- It's no good! If you think otherwise, you're deceiving yourselves.
>>
>>9108530
Well, I just ordered this and I've never read anything else by Flaubert.
>>
Bovary > Salammbô > L'éducation sentimentale >Trois Contes
>>
>>9108111
why is /lit/ so retarded about "where to start with x"?

especially if you already know you like him, just start in chronological order

same thing goes for any other author if possible

If you wanted to make a thread to say that you finished Madame Bovary just cut to the chase and do that instead
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.