[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Today I read The Haunted Shanty by Bayard Taylor and it struck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: pioneer-school-house.jpg (25KB, 300x192px) Image search: [Google]
pioneer-school-house.jpg
25KB, 300x192px
Today I read The Haunted Shanty by Bayard Taylor and it struck me by how much it reminded me of Viy by Gogol. It had that same air of folklore that had been handed down. Gogol wrote his in 1835 while Taylor's story was written a mere 26 years later. One of the most striking things is that Taylor wrote in the vernacular a lot like how Mark Twain write 20 years after Taylor.

So I'm interested, where can I find more creepy old folklore and folklore-like stories? What can you suggest /lit/.
>>
>>9105672

kek.

/lit/ doesn't read books that aren't pre-approved by hipsters
>>
>>9105672
those stories sound right up my alley but I'm unfortunately not familiar with them. you may want to look into the stories of Arthur Machen, who mixed elements of paganism and Welsh folklore into contemporary (at the time) settings.
>>
>>9105672
arthur machen or m.r. james both have stories in the folk horror vein, there's also some p. great folk horror movies like 'whistle and i'll come to you' (based on one of james' stories), or 'the wicker man' (the old one, not the one with nicolas cage, avoid THAT one at all cost), or 'robin redbreast'. there's also a movie based on gogol's 'viy', but i haven't watched it yet
>>
>>9105885

avoid the newer Viy movie. It's crap. The older soviet one is actually better.
>>
>>9105895
didn't know there were two of them, i was referring to the old one
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.