[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you reconcile your intuitions and personal tastes with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1480053357643.jpg (76KB, 480x454px) Image search: [Google]
1480053357643.jpg
76KB, 480x454px
How do you reconcile your intuitions and personal tastes with the crushing weight of pressure due to everyone telling you to enjoy long and boring as fuck books or stupid topics (stuff like China, Psychology, the education system etc.) that people claim are important?

I feel constantly guilty. I fully trust my intuitions (while not ignoring when they're proven wrong). But the pressure is relentless. "Read these 50 boring as fuck Dickens and Russian books! Now say you enjoyed them! Now read this stupid non-fiction New York Times Bestselling book by that stupid journalist! Now pretend all of that is profound!"

I feel like I'm ready to say fuck it and ignore all stupid criticism.
>>
Just read what you like, bro.
>>
>>9100612
>Psychology
>Boring
Psychology is super duper fun.
>Russian Literature
>Boring
Not really.
>>
Life is about impressing people. These people don't want you to read all these long/boring books, they want you to know that they have already read them before you and therefore feel superior to you.

They also want to show you that they enjoy "sophisticated" books, again in order to impress book.

Here's my story about reading:

>be 18
>last time I read a book was in middle school, don't really like it
>drop out of school and start to experience life outside the scholar system
>feel interested in some YA novel (CHERUB), decide to buy the first one
>fucking enjoy it, buy the next ones
>buy some other YA novels
>reading feels good
>buy my first "serious" novel, Le Comte de Monte Cristo
>never enjoyed reading a story that much, it becomes my favourite novel and still is to that day
>buy some stuff about Greek Mythology because I find recent interest in it
>find interest in astronomy, buy some books about basic astronomy/astrophysics
>here I am 5 years later, reading all kind of stuff I enjoy

Fuck people.
>>
>>9100668
Bullshit statement. Though the verdict is right.
Fuck everyone and do whatever you want.
If they don't like what you do it isn't meant to be.
>>
>>9100612
I wonder what it's like to be an effeminate dork like yourself.

Must be hell being such a loser.
>>
File: 22.jpg (109KB, 1280x512px) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
109KB, 1280x512px
Pretty much any fiction book written in the 1800s in western Europe is a slow and plodding mess.

It is actually pretty astounding how boring some of them were when you look at works like Tom Jones, Mysteries of Udolpho, and Robinson Crusoe written in the century before.
>>
>mooooom, my millennial brain demands tendies and instant gratification!
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.