[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I missing something? I know you shouldn't spend time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0015.jpg (52KB, 300x400px)
IMG_0015.jpg
52KB, 300x400px
Am I missing something? I know you shouldn't spend time reading something you aren't enjoying but I've read longer and more difficult books than this, but 400 pages in and I just can't get in to it.

I'm aware that just because it's a classic doesn't mean I have to like it, but considering how much I like many other established classics I'm surprised I'm not enjoying this one. I've got as far as the duel and that was quite a captivating moment, but beyond that I've been struggling.

Is it a slow burn that gets better or is this book simply not for me?

Thanks.
>>
Just stop reading it.
>>
It's definitely a slog but try out Tolstoy's other work, preferably his novellas and essays as opposed to his lengthy novels.

I recommend The Death of Ivan Ilyich and Hadji Murad
>>
>>9096562
I think people are making a mistake by starting with War & Peace. I approached Tolstoy by reading a few of his short stories, and a shorter novel (The Cossacks) before tackling this book.

There is also the matter of finding a translation that you like.

For me, War and Peace was an approachable read. The chapters are fairly short, and there is plenty of memorable moments Andrey at Austerlitz, Rostov's first charge, Pierre's duel with Dolokhov, Pierre meeting the freemason as a coach station, Tushin's artillery, The Rostovs cozy scene at uncles house, Pierre walking into the middle of Borodino, any chapter with Denisov

The last epilogue is a bit much though, too much philosophising.
>>
>>9096575
It's tempting, but I've never given up before. Not through Les Mis, not through Ulysses.

>>9096596
I've had The Death of Ivan Ilyich on my wish list for quite some time. I still want to read more Tolstoy after this, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't a point where things got really interesting like in some other older books.
>>
>>9096647
I'm reading the Maude translation, which was his preferred translation apparently.

I did wonder if I was biting off more than I could chew by starting with it but I didn't think it would make much difference.

I actually read the bit with the Freemason at the coach station just before I posted and it was probably my favourite part so far.
>>
>>9096562
I thought it was pretentious: and I would have named it "war and war." It is beyond me how I ever managed to finish 2,000 pages of that drivel.

However, he wrote a shorter story about a miserable old dying guy which was infinitely better. Not as many people with long, unpronounceable names to lose track of.
>>
>>9096562
How come you find it boring? I'm not certain of it either, but I wouldn't call it boring. It's got a constant stream of "action".
>>
>>9096796
I really don't know. Maybe I need to take a break from it and come back. Perhaps I'm in the wrong frame of mind for it. I've got a lot going on at the moment so maybe I'm distracted.

Perhaps to alter the thread slightly, to those that enjoy it, why? Perhaps that can give me something to look out for when reading it.
>>
>>9096562
If you don't come to identify with any of the characters, you might admire it, but I think you probably won't enjoy it

It's a book for young men
>>
>>9096562
Did you come to the description of a battle yet? If yes and you couldn't appreciate that then probably this book is not for you.
>>
>>9096715
Pro-Tip, anon: Calling Tolstoy's War and Piece "drivel" doesn't make you sound interesting, anon. It makes you sound like an imbecile.
>>
>>9098918

This, actually. The battles are the most outstanding thing about this novel. Having said that, Anna Karenina is the even better book.
>>
>>9096715
How is W&P pretentious? INB4 because its a thick book.

He doesn't even use flowerly pseud language.
>>
OP here. Thanks everybody. I'm just going to finish the current volume, read something else and then come back to it and take it slow. It deserves my full attention so I'll make sure that's what I can give it.
>>
>>9096562
trying waiting till you're a few years older
>>
>>9099517
Quitter.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.