[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/ memed me into reading this. I have a question though: aren't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: Infinite_jest_cover.jpg (28KB, 300x464px) Image search: [Google]
Infinite_jest_cover.jpg
28KB, 300x464px
/lit/ memed me into reading this. I have a question though: aren't people who use the three bookmark method complete pseuds?

Like, before I read the book, I heard that the preferred method of reading it was three bookmarks, one for where you are in main text, one for footnotes, and one for page 223. But now that I'm passed page 223, it seems like that's just an excuse for someone to cram another bookmark into their Infinite Jest to make it seem like a special, life-changingly unique novel. DFW already expects you to remember a ton of little details, is it really that hard to just read the years and remember their order?
>>
>>9093495
who the fuck cares?

My god, I can't believe people are actually emotionally invested in pointless shit like this
>>
also currently reading it - pg 550 or so; desu not making a huge point about remembering the strict chronological order of years. It seems there is an intuitive sense of when certain things are happening based on context, plot, character backstory, etc.
>>
>>9093495
In my first reading, I just mentally separated The first chapter as FUTURE (Year of Glad), the Year of the Depends Adult Undergarment as the PRESENT, and then just crammed all the other shit into the PAST.

And of course, the pre-subsidization years are easy enough.
>>
File: 1481668691307.jpg (237KB, 500x511px) Image search: [Google]
1481668691307.jpg
237KB, 500x511px
You're reading one of the best (if not the best) book released in the past 30 years and THAT's what concerns you enough to make a thread here?

> aren't people who use the three bookmark method complete pseuds?
Fucking kill yourself. You're the biggest pseud around for even asking that.
>>
>>9093503
>>9093581

I think you guys over-read into intentions a bit too much. Of course this is not the most important thing in the book. But dropping some random thread about an interesting idea on page 248 of IJ would be basically irrelevant for 99% of the board.
>>
>>9093593
>>9093503
If you've read it, you'll see that page 223 has some pretty important information about the book, but I mean in a practical sense. It's not like a special thesis sentence or something. That said, I don't think the information on that page is worth having a bookmark for, but I can see someone more organized than me or someone who was really invested in a strict chronology might find it useful.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.