[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I haven't read this since I was a kid, but everyone seems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: Eragon_book_cover.png (219KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
Eragon_book_cover.png
219KB, 300x450px
I haven't read this since I was a kid, but everyone seems to think that Eragon was a mary-sue. I can't remember enough to say if he was or wasn't, but what is it that makes people say that about him?
>>
>>9091126
>A mary-sue
Please explain I am too new for this phrase.
>>
>>9091130
A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities, sometimes with the intent to inspire young or marginalized people and show them that even they can have as great of a potential as leading characters. Often this character is recognized as an author insert or wish-fulfillment.
>>
>>9091135

what if the character is a god-character tho? not him btw
>>
>>9091126
I read this when I was 12, had a lot of fun. The rest of the books in the series are boring as fuck; I only ever completed the first two. When I looked up the remainder of the plot on Wikipedia, I was glad I didn't waste my time on this boring trash.
>>
>>9091135
Ah, yes I'm familiar with this term. I remember now I read an article once about a bunch of sci Fi spergs freaking out about the new Star wars protagonist being one. And just fucking lol at that that a series based on the idea of a chosen one lineage of Jedi has a Mary Sue character no shit Sherlock. To answer your question though the whole eragon series was pretty shallow. I read the first book when it came out but by the time he finished the series I had already aged out of being interested. For y.a. fantasy I prefer r.a. Salvatore.
>>
>>9091163
Being a chosen one doesn't automatically make you a mary sue. Luke Skywalker needs to be saved constantly. Rey is super amazing at everything all the time- she knows more about the Millenium Falcon than Han Solo after flying it for 5 minutes, she can fight toe-to-toe with a trained Sith with no training of her own, she never needs help or saving, etc. etc. Rey is a terrible character.
>>
>>9091182
Stahp sperging. Luke was saved exactly twice and the 2nd time it was Luke's heroism that persuaded Vader to do the right thing. Luke spends the other 600 minutes of film time BTFO the empire while being nothing more than a farm boy barely trained in the force. Anakin flew a Starfighter as a child and never faced a serious setback until obi burned his ass on mustafar. Just grow up and realize almost all pop fiction for y.a. features protagonists of this nature.
>>
>>9091126
From what I recall, he's almost always a Mary Sue.
>fights a supernatural, adept fighter and user of magic after fencing with sticks and learning 1 or 2 spells
>figures out the whole conspiracy of the rival dwarf guilds 1 week after arriving there
>instinctively learns how to use various spells
And so on. He only receives formal training on the 3rd book.
That being said, I still had a lot of fun reading the first 3 books.
>>
>>9091202
>saved twice

Obi-Wan saved him from the Tuskans
Obi-Wan saved him at the bar
Han saved him from the Imperials when fleeing Tatooine
Han saved him from the Imperials on the death star like 3 different times
Han saved him from Darth Vader in the last seconds of the trench run

Han saved him on Hoth
Yoda saved him on Dagobah
Lando/Leia saved him at Cloud City after he got his shit pushed in by daddy

Han saves him from being shot by Boba Fett on Tatooine
Vader saves him from the Emperor

He's saved less in the last film because he's finally a developed character. But Luke is nowhere near the Ma-rey Sue that Rey is. Anakin is more of a Sue but he's also deeply flawed, it's hard to see in Episode I because the scene where he got into a fight with other slave kids was deleted, but between his whiny/horny teen demeanor in Episode II and his murdering of disarmed prisoners and explosive temper over not getting a promotion in Episode III it's pretty clear the kid had issues.
>>
It eventually devolved into written anime. I really liked it when I was a kid but looking back I realize that it was basically the western equivalent of a light novel.

I mean Eragon's brother basically rips off Berserk and kills 100 dudes in a single battle.

Points for the bittersweet ending to the series, but take those back for ripping off the magic system from earthsea
>>
>>9091241
Nigga stop sperging and stop pointing to minor plot tension as genuine peril.
>>
>>9091256
You're either trolling or completely hopeless.
>>
>>9091262
You're trolling yourself bud anybody who gets this worked up over sci Fi for kids is doing waaaaay too much. (Or doesn't have enough to do)
>>
>>9091221
I thought he got trained by the old guy in the first book
>>
>>9091315
>formal training
I was referring to the elf with the golden one-legged dragon. He was barely trained by Brom. As I said, stick fighting and no spells because "magic is dangerous mkay".
>>
Eragon was one of my favorite books as I kid, I reread it over and over again. Eldest too, but a little less. I read Brisingr and Inheritance but the series kind of lost my interest by that point and I was just reading to complete it.

I can see what you mean that Eragon is a Mary Sue but honestly that term is used exclusively by autists to complain about about "lack of realism" in their fantasy stories. Honestly terms like "Mary Sue" and "Hero's Journey" trigger me so hard because people are trying to analyze something that obviously does not have the depth to be analyzed, but they don't have the desire to analyze something better. Pretty sad.
>>
Star Wars did it better and Luke was slightly less of a crybaby Mary Sue.

t. Unfortunately read these books as a child
>>
>>9091126
The books follow the basic story beats of a kid's cartoon. And that's fair enough, seeing as they're aimed at children.

I wouldn't call Eragon a Mary-Sue though, primarily because I hate the term, but also because it seems like the whole story was built around Eragon losing his humanity. Not that there's much exploration of that theme. As I said, it's a "young adult" series.

As I recall, much of the conflict in the later books was a result of Eragon's inability to relate with other humans or correctly assess their emotions. He gradually becomes more Elven than human and the bulk of the emotional development comes from his cousin and Queen what's-her-name.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.