[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's a shame that Ayn Rand tried to make her love for individualism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

It's a shame that Ayn Rand tried to make her love for individualism into a full blown philosophy. Because really, she had great things to say about the value of the individual, and some of the evils of collective thinking. This book is actually very inspiring when you just take it for what it is, and not for some grand statement on an objectivist worldview.

The story of a society trying to take down a complete individualist is very inspiring. And I like some of its views on architecutre. One of my favorite quotes

>Now take a human body. Why wouldn't you like to see a human body with a curling tail with a crest of ostrich feathers at the end? And with ears shaped like acanthus leaves? It would be ornamental, you know, instead of the stark,
bare ugliness we have now. Well, why don't you like the idea? Because it would be useless and pointless. Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man. Will you tell me why, when it comes to a building, you don't want it to look as if it had any sense or purpose, you want to choke it with trimmings, you want to sacrifice its purpose to its envelope--not knowing even why you want that kind of an envelope? You want it to look like a hybrid beast produced by crossing the bastards of ten different species until you get a creature without guts, without heart or brain, a creature all pelt, tail, claws and feathers? Why? You must tell me, because I've never been able to
understand it.
>>
It's poorly written, aimless, preachy drivel that only appeals to frustrated teenagers. Whatever great things she had to say about the value of the individual a more talented author probably phrased better.
>>
>>9089749
Bitch, she herself quotes Aristotle, Hugo, and Nietzsche on the foreword
>>
File: illuminatus.jpg (18KB, 301x168px) Image search: [Google]
illuminatus.jpg
18KB, 301x168px
>>9089749
>>9089381
>not knowing the better individualist work
Keep trying anon, I believe in you. Ayn Rand got caught up in her own head, and came off as preachy.
>>
>>9089767
Not the person you're replying to, but she was a big fan of Dostoevsky. The issue is that Dostoyevsky had different things to say to her, but the main problem is that Dostoyevsky was a writer of compelling fiction no matter where you stand politically. Rand was not.
>>
>>9089381
>It's a shame that Ayn Rand tried to make her love for individualism into a full blown philosophy.

It was what she saw, felt, experienced, thought, that made her, think, feel, that she needed to be so 'extreme' as to make a 'full blown philosophy', to 'combat' what she was critiquing.

>This book is actually very inspiring when you just take it for what it is, and not for some grand statement on an objectivist worldview

So, she has some statements you dont believe in, or she has some statements which offend you?

Because she was trying to say: what I am saying is absolutely really objectively True. Because I believe the world can be objectively known, and I believe the objectivity of nature, states the Truth, and that I read it, and this is what I wrote, so the 'philosophical' aspects of my writing, are 'objective'..'objectivist'.

See, I think she was not just for her love for individualism; but rational, self interested individualism.

So what aspect do you think is her full blown philosophy, where did she go to far, and grand statement? You wish she just wrote the stories?

Thats the thing, it is very inspiring... to you, and individualist, who could be some murderer rapist who says "I am an extreme individualist. This great smart writer loves extreme individualists. That is inspiring to me, I will go murder and rape".
>>
>>9089848
>Thats the thing, it is very inspiring... to you, and individualist, who could be some murderer rapist
Could you elaborate I'm having trouble with this sentence.
>>
>>9089381
>>9089749
Who do I believe?
>>
>>9089898
Read it and decide for yourself. It will be whoever you think you will agree with once you've read it.

It's like flipping a coin. While the coin is in the air, you'll realise the outcome you're hoping for.
>>
>>9089865
>to you, and individualist
and= an*

you could have responded to any of the other points/questions, its all good, just wondering?
>>
>>9089865

You said, you like that its inspiring to individualism.

But you dont like how she tried to make 'a full blown philosophy'.

But the thing is, her 'full blown philosophy', states the type of individualism she is speaking on and values.

She seemingly 'had' to make a full blown philosophy, precisely, because of the ambiguity of stories, and characterization, and the ability for readers to be confused or not get it.

My point was, she does not like all individualism (particularly maybe, the type of individualism which seeks to join collectivism, which then as a collective, attempts to oppress the kind of individualists she does like)
>>
>>9089381
Rand triggers sad parasites
>>
I actually really liked Anthem for the same reason, although I disliked the final two words, and I deplore objectivism.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.