[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi, /lit/. First time poster here, looking for advice on good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: 817CteSzxqL.jpg (371KB, 1400x2257px) Image search: [Google]
817CteSzxqL.jpg
371KB, 1400x2257px
Hi, /lit/.

First time poster here, looking for advice on good fantasy series. I'm leaning on Malazan book of the fallen, but I'm not quite sure how I'll handle the magnitude of the series. I'd appreciate any recommendations.
>>
read titus groan

now gtfo
>>
>>9084955
Thanks for the suggestion. You don't like talking about fantasy books around here or what?
>>
I used to read a lot of fantasy and science fiction before I got into literature, and Malazan is the only series I will ever revisit. Get passed the first book before giving up, it's absolute shit in comparison to the rest of the series. It's worth reading anon.

There's a containment thread for these questions, I suggest you find it. You won't get any real answers otherwise.
>>
File: nessus.jpg (73KB, 554x900px) Image search: [Google]
nessus.jpg
73KB, 554x900px
Book of the New Sun is phenomenal, though it's sci-fi which at first glance appears to be low fantasy. Not sure if that's your kinda thing, but it's super dense and very well-written, imo.
>>
Search the catalog, we have a sci-fi and fantasy general.
>>
File: titus_alone.jpg (399KB, 700x1057px) Image search: [Google]
titus_alone.jpg
399KB, 700x1057px
Where were you when Peake became an /absolute-madman/
>>
>>9084948
Waste of time and money. Go for Leiber, Howard, Lovecraft, Dunsany, Eddison (his The Worm Ouroboros inspired Tolkien, in fact Uroborus is lotr but more viking!) , Kipling, Haggard, Peake, Mieville, or Moorcock fantasy. These guy are for fantasy what are Greeks for philosophy.
>>
>>9086312
>Lovecraft
>>
File: karsa.jpg (133KB, 752x1063px) Image search: [Google]
karsa.jpg
133KB, 752x1063px
>>9084948
First book is really hard to get into because its a huge info dump, after 200 pages or so it gets easier though beacause there is a setting change. The series is pretty great at least as good as GOT or something, full of super hype moments of characters going beast mode. Pic related is an absolute beast and one of the coolest characters in the series (he is very similar to Guts from Berserk if you have seen that)
>>
>>9086312
Everebody else seems to think that the Malazan series is good. I mean, I reallly don't need anything that's a good technical literature or should make me more intelligent or whatever, I've got plenty of textbooks for that. I just want a good fantasy series to get me back to my old love of reading stories again.
>>
>>9086574
I would say with 100% seriousness that it has the BEST or at least most comprehensive world building out of any fantasy series I have read. It is definitely a good read.
>>
>>9086583
Thanks very much, I've looking out for it for the last few years, but due to other matters didn't really have time to dive in. Now I'm decided, thanks again.

I'd also welcome more suggestions. I've heard the Dark Tower series are really good as well.
>>
1 Gardens of the Moon: Hmm, weird book. Not great but interesting.
2 Deadhouse Gates: This is fantastic fantasy with strong historical notes, amazing.
3 Memories of Ice: A brutal uncompromising book, enjoyable.
4 House of Chains: The first half is innovative, brilliant as far as modern fantasy goes.
5 Midnight Tides: Kind of a weird departure but ok.
6 The Bonehunters: I guess they had to follow up deadhouse
7 Reaper's Gale: hmm, this isnt very good
8 Toll the Hounds: this sucks
9 Dust of Dreams: (200 pages in) I have better things to read
10 The Crippled God: I guess ill read it one day but he really screwed the pooch
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.