[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hello /lit/ I have never read a book in my life, but I'd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: 1485993912684.jpg (965KB, 2139x1471px) Image search: [Google]
1485993912684.jpg
965KB, 2139x1471px
hello /lit/
I have never read a book in my life, but I'd like to start
about me: 19 years old, average intelligence, loved movie Taxi Driver, hate any huge marvel blockbuster movie. Was "underachiever" in school, all the teachers praised me and told me I'd be an amazing student if I wasn't so lazy (you know the type) when in reality I mascaraded my mediocrity with my "laziness" as I knew I wouldn't be a great student even if I tried my best.

And yes, I have legitimately never read a book from start to finish in my whole life. ama or someshit.
>>
File: novellas.jpg (830KB, 1988x2085px) Image search: [Google]
novellas.jpg
830KB, 1988x2085px
Why? Is it attention span? Is it because you've never actually read a good book before? Or were you reading just for the image of reading?

In any case there is not and probably will never be an agreed upon "/lit/-starter pack" that'll fit the requirements and demands of everyone. If you like psychological novels, the Russians are your dudes. Are you a Christian? Even better. If it's poetry or philosophy you want into, start with the Greeks. If it's all action you want then stick to the /sffg/ containment thread. For now take a gamble and pick a novella
>>
File: 254308.jpg (26KB, 318x466px) Image search: [Google]
254308.jpg
26KB, 318x466px
And of course If you have the attention span for it, you might find this book incredibly amusing, relatable, eye-opening, or all of the above
>>
>Taxi Driver

Read Catcher in the Rye, should get you started
>>
>>9084728
yeah, like for the first 200 pages. then it sucks.
>>
>>9084655
Read whatever you're into but don't stray from the essentials/classics. I'll read anything from ancient religious texts to 18th century philosophy to a Neil Gaiman novel.
I'm literally exactly like you (19 years old lazy as fuck) and I had to force myself into the "literary lifestyle". Just takes patience and dedication.
>>
>>9084717
Agnostic
thanks alot for the input guys, judging by the replies on the thread this is already the least spastic board on 4chan.
>>
>>9086067
>thinking /lit/ isn't autistic
You just got lucky.
Also fuck off newfag
>>
Start with the Greeks.

The Iliad, The Odyssey, then Greek tragedies of your choice. All of them have simple narrative themes and will introduce you to different styles of writing and how to interpret them yourself (it's far simpler to analyse them than, say, Shakespeare's works since you need a background in literature to fully understand the composition and themes).
>>
>>9084655
are you that same anon that keeps saying "I'm a loner, very special and unique, I want to read but not the greeks, they're just a meme!" if you are then fuck off, if not, proceed.
>>
>>9084728
Which translation is best anon?
>>
>>9086768
nope, I am a generic btard, although I am very social and easily approachable. as to what you mean by that greek meme remark - I've no idea what you meant by this.
>>
File: 91QjHtzDdmL.jpg (933KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
91QjHtzDdmL.jpg
933KB, 1920x2560px
>>9084655
This book is like watching a Scorsese movie, only with more fun, more drugs, depression and watermelon.
>>
>>9084728
It's a love story. Good, but not that great.
>>9084808
That's pretty accurate actually.
>>
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. You can't go wrong with this one. Probably the funniest novel you'll ever read. It really is a masterpiece.
>>
>>9084803

Notes from the Underground
>>
File: 1413490133183.jpg (72KB, 500x464px) Image search: [Google]
1413490133183.jpg
72KB, 500x464px
>>9085281
>>9084655
Same here, i'm a lazy 19yo NEET leeching off my poor mom without any prospects or ambition. Used to read shitty fantasy books as a kid, then i got fat and spiraled into depression, did nothing except playing videogames, watching anime and movies and jerking off through all my teenage years. I've only read about 20-25 real books in my life but i'm starting to really read again now, not that it's gonna save me but at least there's some value in it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.