[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Harry Haller justified in his feelings about life and the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

Was Harry Haller justified in his feelings about life and the world around him? Or was he just being emo?
>>
>>9080554
how do you justify "I'm going to go home and slit my throat with a razor"?
did you finish the book? It really couldn't have been more clear
>>
>>9080584
Read it twice.

You can justify that action if your mentality allows it. But what I'm wondering is if Haller was justified to feel that living was so bad that suicide was a legitimate course of action for him.
>>
>>9080584
I know i finished the book and had no idea what the fuck was going on
>>
>>9080628
well Hesse never explores that dimension of Haller, but according to both the Treatise and Hermine we are to believe that Hesse viewed suicide as childish or cowardly or neglectful.
we just take the fact that Haller was in a position to personally justify it as a product of his destructive spiritual duality. Hesse focused more on the solution than the nature of the problem
>>
>>9080554
>doesn't see what apes we are
>>
>>9081068
Hesse personally obviously though suicide was no solution, but I don't think he would condemn it, seeing as his brother committed suicide in his youth after a difficult time in school. Hesse himself came close to suicide in that age. In his novel Unterm Rad the protagonist, a very young boy, commits suicide after being crushed by the pressure of school and his parent. Hesse doesn't condemn his decision but mourns someone being driven to death before being able to mature. I guess that's the angle he comes from generally. i haven't read Steppenwolf though. I've read Demian, Siddhartha and Unterm Rad and his poems. I feel like Demian is a masterpiece personally and I hope I'll get around to reading Steppenwolf next.
>>
>>9080554
His feelings only arose from a flawed understanding of himself and other people. They aren't valid.
>>
File: herman-hesse-demian[1].jpg (44KB, 309x500px) Image search: [Google]
herman-hesse-demian[1].jpg
44KB, 309x500px
>>9080554
Behold, the superior book.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.