[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is "rain striped hair" something you can say in english?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

Is "rain striped hair" something you can say in english?

Pic is very related to what i'm looking for words to describe.
>>
File: IMG_1935.jpg (14KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1935.jpg
14KB, 300x168px
never heard it and don't know if it makes sense since english isn't my first language but i like it. it sounds cute
>>
Striped or stripped? Neither is a recognised phrase but maybe it could work in context.
>>
>>9077721
no that isn't really a common english phrase.
>>
>>9077732
>>9077734
Any alternative suggestions?
>>
rain soaked hair?

the verb that we would associate with that picture would be 'flick' or 'fling' but using a verb like that as an adjective is awkward in english.

'flinging her rain soaked hair' would be more natural.

'rain matted hair' maybe, but that doesn't necessarily describe the action you see in the picture.
>>
>>9077843
'Soaked' would refer to the perfusion of water in the hair, 'matted' would refer to a lack of lustre.
I'm after the effect of how rain often makes hair clump together into tests.
Actually, can i say that?

"Rain soaked tests of hair"?
"Rain soaked hair tests"?
"Rain tested hair"?

I still kind of like 'striped' though. >>9077729
this anon gets it.
>>
>>9078001
you are wrong. that's not the only definition of matted.

i'm not saying a i don't like 'rain striped hair' but it's just not a natural or common phrase in english.
>>
I have never heard of that phrase but I think it sounds elegant and the sound of it does give an impression like your picture. I think you could pioneer it as a new meaning for what you're trying to describe.
>>
File: 1844070_492x328.jpg (86KB, 492x328px) Image search: [Google]
1844070_492x328.jpg
86KB, 492x328px
is it cool to read clumsy english sometimes, /lit/?
>>
>>9078034
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/matted
>2: something made up of densely tangled or adhering filaments or strands especially of organic matter <an algal mat> <a mat of unkempt hair>

It appears you are right. Matted would work very well, according to this.

>>9078044
Well, i guess that is how language works.
>>
>>9078058
Wat?
>>
>>9077721
>something you can say in english?
I have some basic understanding of linguistics, and while there is socially correct language, correct language does not exist. Words change meaning, new words get introduced and so on and so on.

Gay used to mean happy, and there are many more such cases.

As a writer of fiction I wouldn't limit my creativity. Shakespeare alledgedly introduced new words into the English language. But can't remember whatever that is true (but other people did it anyway).
>>
>>9078001
Sounds like a wet ballsack, anon.
>>
>>9077721
Wet. Her hair is wet.
>>
>>9078225
it still means happy, you moron
>>
>>9079429
Arguably, it doesn't.
>>
>>9077721
rain streaked is a common phrase in english, and hair also often is called streaked (rather than striped) when dyed. it could be that streak and stripe's close meanings and contexts caused a cognate to come forward where streaked would be the norm. i quite like it, more than rain-streaked hair which can seem cliche.
>>
rainy hair
>>
rain crenellated hair
>>
>>9077721
Wet hair.
>>
>>9080050
wet with what?
>>
>>9080060
Hair.
>>
>>9078001
mussed
>>
>>9080039
nice
>>
>>9080048
kek
>>
streams of hair, crafted by the rain, a downpour of black, yellow, red, brown, stands fundamentally clinging by their sameness, drowning in it, and what escapes the clouds above
>>
>>9081802
Repugnant.
>>
>>9081822
why?
>>
>>9081838
Because I wrote it. Also, I typed stands instead of strands. Should have just said faggots. works with the theme and doubles as an insult to people willing to tale it that way.
>>
>>9079429
There are more words that changed meaning such as "nice"
>>
>>9078225
he's looking for a collocation, not words. breaking collocations instantly outs you as a non-native speaker
>>
>>9081938
Not neccesarily
Collocations must've changed at times as well, that is simply what language does: change
If he cares about being authentic he should listen to you but it is not how language works
>>
*rain-lashed hair*

you're welcome
>>
>>9081923
"added" meaning is not "changed" meaning
>>
>>9082374
Who still uses nice to mean foolish or silly?
>>
>>9082119
yes it is. i don't see how language change relates to what I said
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.