[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have Snow Crash and Neuromancer on my kindle waiting for me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

I have Snow Crash and Neuromancer on my kindle waiting for me to read them. Which one should I read first, and why?

No idea what this book in the center is, this is just the first picture on Google that came up when I looked for an image with both Neuromancer and Snow Crash in it. I'm open to reading it if you feel I should.
>>
Snow Crash is on some level a response to Neuromancer, so I think it makes more sense to start with Gibson. Both stand on their own though.

High Rise is probably the best of the three books itt, but it isn't cyberpunk.
>>
>>9073350
That's cool then, I just grabbed them because they were two cyberpunk books I've heard good things about. I had no idea there was a connection like that. I guess that's as good a reason as any to pick Neuromancer first, thanks.

Any speculation as to why High Rise is in the image?
>>
>>9073380
Well Ballard is kind of a 'punk' author with sci-fi trappings; he just isn't recognizably 'cyberpunk' in any way. I'd speculate that if you dig that type of literature, you'd probably appreciate him as well.
>>
most of ballards books and short stories are way better than neurodhitter and shit crash
>>
>>9074258
Some really clever names there...
>>
>>9073340
read neuromancer or high rise or both, but delete snow crash, it's shit, like most cyberpunk not written by gibson
>>
>>9073380

Snow Crash isn't really cyberpunk tho. It's 'post-cyberpunk' which I assume was a term given to it because of the way it tries pretty damn hard to parody cyberpunk into infinity.

Its self-awareness is pretty tedious tbqh.
>>
>>9074215
>>9075112
Well, this shows you just how little I know about any of these books. Still, it's not as if I'm trying to limit myself to one subgenre so I'll still be happy to try them. Opinions do seem pretty mixed thus far but books are free so I see no reason not to at least look at them. If any of them end up having writing that puts me off in some way I can always just drop them and move on to the next one.

In all honesty, before all this I was actually planning to read this one book someone here recommended called "Vellum."
>>
>>9075112
Snow Crash is absolutely cyberpunk. It's The Diamond Age that is post-cyberpunk.
>>
>>9073340
How about you just start reading anyone of them and stop shitposting?
>>
>>9073340
Snow Crash is shit. (And not 'the' shit, but plain old very smelly shit.)
>>
>>9077425
Of all the threads to accuse of shitposting, why this one?
>>
>>9077478
No real reason. Just bitterness.
>>
So why do people here dislike Neuromancer? Is it just because it's the originator of cyberpunk and it's been done better since then? Or can I chalk it up to the usual 4chan contrarianism, considering it's one of the most beloved sci-fi novels?
>>
>>9077478
These threads are so stupid and serve no purpose. READ the book and come back to DISCUSS.
>>
>>9077887
It would be stupid if it was a "Is this book worth reading" thread but it's a "I'm going to read these books but I can't decide which to read first, pick one for me so I can get started".
>>
>>9077973
it literally does not matter the order in which you read these or any non-sequential books. read it in chronological, reverse chronological, alphabetical, randomly. skim through and pick which one interests you. it does not matter.

if you're not able to make such a minor, worthless decision by yourself, you need some serious help.
>>
>>9077986
If it doesn't matter then having someone else pick for you should be no problem.
>>
>>9076317

>Well, this shows you just how little I know about any of these books.

Well I've read them but I admit that I'm no expert in what constitutes as 'cyberpunk'. Correct me if wrong but I've always considered it relatively serious in its thematic considerations - primarily that humanity living in a technology-infused world where the very metaphysical qualities of reality and tech end up blurred.

I get that the Metaverse in Snow Crash is indicative of that but the whole book and ergo its plot and character structure feels like an ironic riff on the very concept. It's lowbrow but lowbrow in a way that wants to draw attention to the very premise that it could in some way even be slightly realistic. Hence why I called 'post cyberpunk' but maybe I just mean postmodern?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.