[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"She looked around at the bombarded ruins of her quickly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1381638498329.jpg (11KB, 400x334px) Image search: [Google]
1381638498329.jpg
11KB, 400x334px
"She looked around at the bombarded ruins of her quickly fading past."

I constantly get sentences like this that pop up in my head, vivid images of a landscape or instance of a scenario that I can't seem to expand on. I've been looking to figure out how to take a decent sentence like this, and actually turn it into something worth while.

I seem to struggle telling a story, but I can describe a picture or small sequence without too much difficulty. Are there any books that might shed light on my issue, to help me understand what to do?

"Continuous urges compel my motivation, yet are inevitably subject to even the slightest whim of a distraction."

Some random sentence, also an issue I face, which I'm working on dealing with.

I expect criticism and ridicule, and not to be taken seriously, but I am genuinely concerned why I struggle in this way and how to fix it.
>>
>>9072322
you can see the marks where considerable force was used to remove the two legos, i used to use my teeth.

maybe you should use your teeth in writing, anon?
>>
Just take one of your fragments and run with it. Start small, like 300 words per story, then slowly build to 2,000. There's no magic fix to your problem OP, you just need to practice.
>>
>>9072341
An ambiguous thought, though I'm unsure if it has merit, or is simply a jab at my expense. I'll consider it, though, even if you're not sincere.
>>
>>9072343
Should I expect all following sentences to follow some guideline set by the inspired kernel sentence, like should all the sentences carry the same weight as that sentence, or is it okay for certain sentences to really carry the majority of the weight? What I mean is...is there some standard of quality I should measure up to?

I'm not sure if I'm making sense of what I mean...perhaps, if a particularly well crafted sentences was only surrounded by mediocre sentences, or rnadomly well crafted sentences were dappled in a work, would it discredit all the in-between areas, or would the work stand to measure to its best passages? So maybe...should a work have more passages that measure up to its finest passages, or could a work pass and get published by only maintaining intermittently placed well formed sections? I'm thinking I'm worrying that the majority of my work isnt matching up to the shining examples I've laid out, and by my failure to live up to those examples, I will be judged.

An illogical fear, perhaps? I really just dont want to fuck up my first novel.
>>
>>9072344
i mean use tools and more strength of will to exert yourself over the literature. if you have these legos frustrating you, use tools you have at your expense, and unbending will to not only separate them, but even warp the material itself.

just work harder and try different modes of attack to get your desired outcome. it makes you an intelligent person to never give up at what you're doing, not just being successful.
>>
>>9072355
You're almost guaranteed to fuck up your first of anything. Anyways like the other anons said, just practice. And be patient, a thousand words will not just fall into place immediately, you have to work and revise. Likewise you cannot expect to write a perfect sentence on your first try. A lot of shitty sentences lie underneath the beautiful one.
>>
>>9072355

You're thinking about it way too hard. Take a sentence fragment and just run with it. Have some fun. Take a fragment and just have a think about it. Who are the people? Where are they? Have you had a previous idea for a story you could use? You're not going to be a bestseller just off the starting line OP, the fact is that everyone churns out shit at the beginning. You don't expect to approach a piano and play Hungarian Rhapsody, so why expect the same when you sit down to write?
>>
File: 1365893565835.gif (2MB, 235x240px) Image search: [Google]
1365893565835.gif
2MB, 235x240px
>>9072355
The most important thing is story. Your sentences will stand out by their own merit. You have to connect enough of them for a plot.

since you a so focused on a perfect or compelling [sentence] try making a perfect or compelling [paragraph]

Then try the opposite, realize that the words you structure into a sentence and the sentences you use to structure a paragraph are not important for the way they sound, but for the meaning behind them.

And try to accept the idea, that for any story to be written, you will need fluff but even fluff has its place.

Another suggestion is try writing a conversation or dialog with two characters discussing nothing of importance. Like why they like tea or which one of their friends would win in a fist fight.

add some symbology behind the fluff, like the type of tea, or how the building their talking in has 7 walls. Seven, just the number 7 itself. can be a powerful symbol to invoke into a story,
there were seven planets for the Babylonians and Sumerians, seven days in a week, seven orders of the angles, seven colors in a rainbow, seven pure notes in the diatonic scale.

Just adding 7 fills nothing with something. It invokes the depth you are searching for in your writings.
Add a Yew tree into a scene or into a characters experience. Yew trees are one of the longest living of all trees. and some today are up to 9000 years old. Because of this longevity it is a potent symbol of immortality. The tree itself is sacred. The new is born from the old with the tree representing rebirth because how is leaves grow. Before Christianity any place where a yew was growing was considered sacred ground. Many old churches are built next to these trees, explained by the common trend with old Celtic Christianity's adoption of pagan rites to entice followers of the older religions to convert.

Symbology is fun. and can be easily added to any situation.

. About that fistfight between the friends. just say one of their friends wears knuckle dusters made of gold. Just add that detail.

"His brass knuckles were made of gold."

Now add some symbology.

"He did not wear brass knuckles. He wore golden knuckle dusters, the metal of the sun."

Just like that you invoke the power and meaning of gold and by extension gold. Fun fact, gold is another powerful symbol of immortality. It does not degrade or rust, or lose its luster. Put two and two together.

Hope these ramblings help you.
If you have more questions about symbolism feel free to ask. It can give anything meaning, and purpose, allowing the rest of a story to be crafted imbued with images and ideas that have provoked the thoughts of man from the beginnings of our racial history.
>>
>>9072439
>Just like that you invoke the power and meaning of gold and by extension gold.

meant to say : Just like that you invoke the power and meaning of gold and by extension the sun.***

Thinking about it gold is also a soft metal, so its an interesting choice for a weapon of any kind.

Gold is considered to be on of the most precious and beautiful metals of all. It is connected to the element of FIRE. and like I mention the sun. The passage of the sun above us is often described as a golden chariot traversing the heavens. ECT ect.
>>
File: autism to the rescue.png (95KB, 649x649px) Image search: [Google]
autism to the rescue.png
95KB, 649x649px
>>9072322
My preferred method of seperating these pieces was always to build pic related then grasp the top half and turn it to the side. The 1x2 can then be put on the second 2x2 and the same motion repeated.
>>
>>9073159
>implying the pieces aren't sticky from kidhands
you had a horrible childhood, didn't you?
>>
>>9072322
Your problem is that you're disposed for writing poetry, but no one cares about poetry, so why bother?
>>
Me too OP
>>
>>9072341
>>9073159
use a knife desu
>>
>>9073161
Maybe it hadn't occurred to your mother to teach you to wash your hands, but most people's mothers have taught their kids to wash their (own) hands
>>
>>9073750
you're one presumptuous faggot ass bitch. if you've ever been in contact with an average human child, you will realize quite swiftly that the majority of their person is practically derived from filth itself. a study of a child is a study of grime, my friend.

also, it was a fucking joke.
>>
>>9073785
ok fag. now kys
>>
>>9072322
You've got a few issues here Op, first of all good sentences don't exist in isolation. What will determine the quality of the sentences you gave is their relationship to the ones around them. Look at one of Nabokov's or Gass's sentences, what makes them so great is their rhythmic, conceptual, and visual relationship to one another. An isolated sentence can be surprising, beautiful, humorous, but none of it will matter unless you can weave it in to some purpose. Also your pride in these sentences will very quickly lead you to get attached to them which is dangerous and may end up with you making bad decisions to keep them in. Have you ever heard someone say a writer's prose is masturbatory? this is one of the ways that happens; hanging on to impotent beauty.

>>9072355
In response to this comment, it seems clear that your real issue is not having read enough, or maybe not reading closely enough. You're asking a question that is best answered by thinking about what your favorite authors do. You seem to be under the fallacy that there is a "correct" way to go about all of this, a fallacy that will be dispelled by reading more and more widely. You'll see that for every Blood Meridian that we love for its ceaseless lyric and invention there is a Making of Americans that we love for its labor, ugliness, and repetition.

Ask any creative writer teacher and they will tell you one of their biggest issues is that our generation doesn't read enough. Most contemporary authors haven't read enough either and it shows. In any other discipline, if you want to learn you watch others. I don't know when this was lost on writers and I hope it isn't too late for you. It will be hard regardless and if you don't enjoy it you will fail. If you do enjoy it you will probably still fail.

Good luck, I hope you write something great, come back and meme it here if you do.
>>
>>9073840
Thanks for the insights. I may or may not have read enough. Since I've embarked on this journey to write a novel, I've picked up almost a hundred books from a variety of genres. Though, one problem I might face is that they're audiobooks, which in this way, I'm visually unable to understand the layout, and makes my own writing feel weird. However, I do listen to them with intent to understand or decipher how it is written, and in what way certain sentences or paragraphs are built.

I will keep in mind the bit about hanging on to impotent beauty, I may be suffering from such an ailment.

I've also looked into tips from writers, on youtube, lectures, and a couple of books on writing stories. I might be investigating more than I'm practicing, and that might be a flaw in my approach as well.

I'm actually quite surprised I got any earnest responses from anybody, I'm more accustomed to lurking /b/ and nothing there is ever treated with any sincerity.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.