[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does everyone hate Jonathan Franzen? I say this as someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: franzen-time-cover1.jpg (129KB, 554x732px) Image search: [Google]
franzen-time-cover1.jpg
129KB, 554x732px
Why does everyone hate Jonathan Franzen? I say this as someone who hates Jonathan Franzen and doesn't know why.
>>
>>9071738
He pretended to be DFW's friend while he was alive to piggyback and then immediately started shit talking him when he was dead.
>>
>>9071776
Usually is the other way around
>>
is he a kike?
if so, thats why
>>
>>9071738
He was this safe normative return to the status quo that became the face of modern literature in the past few years.
>>
I was offered his Corrections some tme ago, anyone care to advertise it to me ? Haven't opened it yet.
>>
Obnoxious fans
>>
>>9072033
I liked it, his characters are all flawed but most are lovable, and they try to make amends for their shitty behavior. I feel like a lot of /lit/ will find a bit of themselves in Chip
>>
>>9071738
Why hate him if you have no reason?

The Corrections is fantastic.
Wasn't a fan of Purity, unrealistic yet boring plot with an obvious twist. Unbearable characters too.
I have yet to read Freedom.
>>
>>9071738
Same here, like many others it seems. I've never even read anything of his and yet don't mind calling him shit whenever it comes up. I don't do this for anyone else.
>>
>>9071738
Stormfags are against him 'cause they think he's left wing. I'm amazed at the irrational hate though, and the confessions here 'I always rip him but know nothing about him' jesus. He really is the top contemporary writer though the criticisms of lacking mystery and incessant reducing / analysing character's motives can be overbearing if you read Corrections , freedom, purity in a row. Anyone who reads the corrections will like it. It was voted by a large panel the novel of this century a few years ago.
>>
>>9071776
More like he tried to keep being DFW's friend but DFW's ego got in the way; he was always too cool but actually envious of him. They both wanted to be top dog, the rivalry was fire for DFW.
>>
>>9071738
I picked up 26th City thinking it was by Jonathan Lethem, and I feel that Franzen tricked me into reading a bad book.
>>
>>9073064
>released in 2001
>novel of the century
>>
>>9073064
>Anyone who reads the corrections will like it. I
I read it, it was boring shit. Middle class ennui for Americans.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.