[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any good books about the study of isolated tribes and their concepts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: ind-wp-dani-adg-11_screen.jpg (68KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
ind-wp-dani-adg-11_screen.jpg
68KB, 960x640px
Any good books about the study of isolated tribes and their concepts and morals, and how those differ from the ones of our current civilization?
>>
>>9071270
Yes! I have one on my shelf called The Gebusi: Lives Transformed in a Rainforest World
Also check out The Continuum Concept.
>>
Levi Strauss
>>
Levi-Strauss to be sure is pretty good

If you want a quicker read to get you started, check out "Understanding a Primitive Society" by Peter Winch, who develops Evans-Pritchard's and Levy-Bruhl's research into the whether "primitive" cultures are rational in the same sense we are, or whether there are different rationalities.

Also maybe look at Marshall Sahlins, Islands of History.
>>
>>9071270
"Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes" by Daniel L. Everett.

>A riveting account of the astonishing experiences and discoveries made by linguist Daniel Everett while he lived with the Pirahã, a small tribe of Amazonian Indians in central Brazil. Daniel Everett arrived among the Pirahã with his wife and three young children hoping to convert the tribe to Christianity. Everett quickly became obsessed with their language and its cultural and linguistic implications. The Pirahã have no counting system, no fixed terms for color, no concept of war, and no personal property. Everett was so impressed with their peaceful way of life that he eventually lost faith in the God he'd hoped to introduce to them, and instead devoted his life to the science of linguistics. Part passionate memoir, part scientific exploration, Everett's life-changing tale is riveting look into the nature of language, thought, and life itself.
>>
>>9071270
The Yanomamo - Chagnon

not necessarily solely about concepts and morals, but it's one of the greatest anthropological studies of a completely isolated society.
>>
>>9071270
Unironically the essay 'The Truth About Primitive Life: A Critique of Anarcho-Primitivism' by Ted Kaczynski.
>>
my diary desu
>>
Black literature t.b.h.
>>
>>9071270
The Wayfinders - Wade Davis
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.