[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /lit/ Looking for recommendations on the best Noir Detective/PI

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: noir.jpg (188KB, 500x739px) Image search: [Google]
noir.jpg
188KB, 500x739px
Sup /lit/

Looking for recommendations on the best Noir Detective/PI novels/short stories.

Bonus points for Female MC.
>>
Dashiell Hammett's 1930 novel, The Maltese Falcon.
>>
File: Travis McGee.jpg (22KB, 292x306px) Image search: [Google]
Travis McGee.jpg
22KB, 292x306px
The Travis McGee series by John D. MacDonald is my fave.
>>
>>9065031
>Bonus points for Female MC
Laura by Vera Caspary.
>>
File: myrna.png (263KB, 700x521px) Image search: [Google]
myrna.png
263KB, 700x521px
>>9065250
I prefer The Thin Man myself. It's Hammett after he stopped giving a fuck. Hilarious hard-boiled language, drunk protagonists, and a nice digression about cannibalism. Good stuff.

Nora Charles is kind of a main character as well, which I guess OP is looking for..
>>
>>9068214
>I was leaning against the bar in a speakeasy on Fifty-second Street, waiting for Nora to finish her Christmas shopping, when a girl got up from the table where she had been sitting with three other people and came over to me. She was small and blonde, and whether you looked at her face or at heir body in powder-blue sports clothes, the result was satisfactory.
>>
look into James Ellroy's stuff
>>
File: this.png (322KB, 446x399px) Image search: [Google]
this.png
322KB, 446x399px
>>9068233
>>
>>9068233
what he said.

no other writer made me want to beat spics with phonebooks quite like ellroy
>>
>>9065031
The big sleep
>>
>>9068233
thirding based ellroy
>>
The Long Goodbye
>>
>>9066561
This so much.
One time I was chatting with the owner of a used bookstore and he gave me a copy of The Deep Blue Good-by.
It was far better than I expected, great novels
>>
>>9065031
Raymond Chandler and then Ross Macdonald. Trust me on this.
>>
What's the most cliched but still good detective noir novel out there? I love the "she walked into my office like a tall glass of water", murder in New York/LA cliche detective shit.
>>
Billy Bathgate
>>
>>9070134
See >>9068224

Thin Man is great.
>>
>>9068233
I've read Killer On The Road and it was cringe-worthy crap. I hope his latter books are better.
>>
File: 1478133831462.jpg (373KB, 2000x3056px) Image search: [Google]
1478133831462.jpg
373KB, 2000x3056px
>>
ellroy

>>9070505
vetriano can suk my miniscule schlong
>>
>>9070498
>Killer On The Road

Early minor Ellroy. Why would you start with this?

Try the LA Quartet instead.
>>
>>9070523
nigger, i live in fife and still hate vetriano.

spic should've painted, blaaaargh
>>
File: IMG_0791.jpg (176KB, 1012x1525px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0791.jpg
176KB, 1012x1525px
>>9065031
Micky Spillane's Mike Hammer novels are pretty good.
>>
>>9070523
>>9070772
OP here.

I live in Dundee, and have a burning hatred of Vetriano too.

I worked in an art gallery for a year and had to upsell prints of his garbage to old ladies and council office workers near 24/7

Talentless hack.
>>
>>9068233
Loved Underworld USA. How are Ellroy's short stories? Was thinking of picking up Crime Wave before I got started on LA Quartet.
>>
>>9065031
For an earlier example, I'd recommend The Thirty-Nine Steps by Buchan. Manages to be really thrilling and it's cool to see the origin of a lot of trends in more modern detective fiction. Quick read, too, and bonus points for good treatment of the Scottish landscape.
>>
>>9065031
I was able to read an early copy of "Bully for You" by Dan Burley. One of the best books I've read in a while. It is currently up for pre order on Amazon, and comes out next Tuesday. It's a nice ride.
>>
>>9065031
Nova Swing - M. John Harrison (Book 2 in a trilogy)
Do Androids dream of electric sheep? - Philip K. Dick
The Bridge Trilogy (Virtual light, Idoru, All tomorrow's parties) - William Gibson
Minority Report - Philip K. Dick

Scifi detective shit, get some TechNoir in your skull, son.
>>
It's more hard boiled than noir, but after finding out that Wittgenstein loved The Doan and Carstairs novels by Norbert Davis I read those.

Would recommend.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.