[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does everyone think Russian literature only consists of Dostoevsky

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: 1486142972154.jpg (35KB, 343x284px) Image search: [Google]
1486142972154.jpg
35KB, 343x284px
Why does everyone think Russian literature only consists of Dostoevsky and Tolstoy?
>>
>>9064701
Because it does
>inb4 Pushkin
a meme national poet on the same level as Mickiewicz
>inb4 Gogol, Chekhov, etc
They're just ok
>>
I had never consdiered the question.

I doubt anyone thinks it only consists of these two.
>>
>>9064701
Its all non-slavs are taught. Plus lack of decent translations
>>
Those are the big 2, an average reader doesn't dive in so much to foreign lit so only knows them
>>
>>9064722
>because I said so
>>
>>9064722
>assessing poet's work in translations
How can one man be this pleb?
>>
>>9064763
Pushkin didn't influence anybody except Ruskies. Nobody cares.
>>
>>9064771
>Shakespeare didn't influence anybody except Anglos. Nobody cares.
>>
>who is Turgenev
>>
>>9064783
>Pushkin is as influential as Shakespeare
>>
>>9065362
Pushkin is quite literally the Shakespeare of Russian literature.
>>
>>9065362
>>9065370
God this discussion is moving so slow. Yes, Pushkin is genius, national poet level of quality, the Shakespeare/Racine/Dante of Russia. But what non-Russians were influenced by him? Goethe was inspired by Shakes-da-spear. Latin American writers are indebted to the Bard. They are simply on another level.
>>
>>9064701
>muh russian ;;;literature;;;
>ignore greatest works by chechoslovak, polish, or hungarian writers
>>
>>9064722
>gogol & chekhov r juss ewk

you god damned pleb.
>>
>>9065413
he's indirectly influential, pushkin influenced tolstoy and dosty, obviously their influence can be charted fairly easily.
>>
>>9065370
No he isn't, aside from being considered the national poet or bard.

Stylistically and thematically, he's the Byron or Shelley of Russian literature.
>>
>>9065479
You're correct, but the other anon's proposition, that "Puskin didn't influence anybody except Ruskies," remains true because such a proposition obviously refers solely to direct influence.

But who cares? The point of my post was to end the circles going on in this thread, and I don't want to be sucked back into it.
>>
>>9065413
>what non-Russians were influenced by him
What kind of retarded metric is this? He's the progenitor of all the Russian literature. It's only logical that he would be less of an international influence considering the learning difficulty disparity between English/German and Russian and the fact that poetry is essentially untranslatable. Shakespeare was indeed a higher caliber historical figure due to his influence on dramaturgy, so was Goethe with his philosophical and naturalistic writings and all around being an archetypical Enlightenment master. But their pure literary merit is very much on par and denying it is pretty stupid.
>>
File: w_llN-TDKZ8.jpg (73KB, 656x700px) Image search: [Google]
w_llN-TDKZ8.jpg
73KB, 656x700px
>be a russian
>never read Tolstoy
>found Crime and Punishment to be obnoxious and boring
Bulgakov shits on both tbqfh phams
>>
>>9065514
Who said anything about literary merit? I was only trying to end a stupid debate where neither anons were even wrong, just speaking past each other.
>>
>>9065499
oh no worries, this is a horse that has long since decayed, and the fossilized stick is used for nothing but bludgeoning idiots who ask about the horse at this point.
>>
>>9065490
>tfw a retarded anglo tries to teach you about your national literature
He was to Russian language exactly was Shakesbeer was to English. His place in Russian literature exactly that of Shakespeare in English. We were talking about influence and not style, you dense fuck.
>>
>>9065527
>tfw тeбe 16 и ты пocтишь лягyшeк
>>
>>9065527
and both gogol and turgenev shit directly into bulgakov's rosy lips desu famalam
>>
>>9065530
The whole point of the debate was that Pushkin is "meme national poet not worth reading".
>>
>tfw pycня пиздит c pycнeй нa aнглийcкoм в тpeдe o pyccкoй литepaтype
>>
File: 468a2df9a8aa.jpg (51KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
468a2df9a8aa.jpg
51KB, 600x600px
>>9065615
feels bretty gud tbqh
>>
>>9064701
Boris Akounine is fucking cool
>>
>>9065615
>>9065633
Baлитe нaхyй c мoeгo чepвepaчa
>>
>>9065634
I prefer B.akunin
>>
>>9065413
How many americans can quote Shakespeare beyond "DUDE 2B OR NOT 2B"?
You can take any unwashed, drunk, retarded, wife beating slav and he could still produce you a good dozen Pushkin's stanzas from memory
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.