[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay /lit/, I'm trying to pick up reading again, I used

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: steppenwolf.jpg (12KB, 210x320px) Image search: [Google]
steppenwolf.jpg
12KB, 210x320px
Okay /lit/, I'm trying to pick up reading again, I used to love it (but am definitely pleb tier) and I've had a bit more down time to do so lately.

I have three books with me at university: Steppenwolf, A Confederacy of Dunces, and Dune. All of them seem interesting enough. Which should I read and why?
>>
making an obvious choice by literally posting a pic of which one you wanted to read, eh? HESSE
>>
>>9062962
I did really like Siddhartha. Figured this board wouldn't be as into sci-fi, though everyone says Dune is THE sci-fi book, and Steppenwolf does seem the most interesting in terms of ideas. But I also read the first 50 pages or so of Confederacy a while ago and was laughing my ass off.

In any case you're probably right.
>>
>>9062969
dune is great. there's gene wolfe but i have yet to read him. i guess sci fi will get bumped up in literary heirarchy for the years to come since we are literally in it. also this is a catholic marxist board or was.
>>
>>9062969
Dune is shit! Medicore scifi. Everything by Hesse is great but id really recommend goldmun and narcissus, its incredible.
>>
I'm reading the steppenwolf now and it's really interesting. I think it's better than the usual favorites Siddharta and Narcisus&Goldmund.

Dune is really interesting but it was too long for me. If it was all plotting and intrigue it would be ok, but I had to stop reading at the point where they are just wandering in the desert without much happening. I wish there was a spinoff of the family life of Shaddam IV in the form of a tv-series or something, though, as the little snippets were really interesting - like when he refuses to have sex with a captured slave because she is too beautiful and would be a good diplomatic gift for a political ally. And his wife and daughter - who are spying him - start to cuss because they fear that at this rate they won't be able to control him anymore.

I haven't read a Confederacy of Dunces, but from what I hear of it, it should be a similar experience as browsing www.reddit.com/r/justneckbeardthings
>>
>>9063034
>this is a catholic marxist board
>2017
>>
>>9063237
>being wrong about literally everything
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.