[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What books do i need to read to understand all of Ulysses? All

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 15021743._SY540_.jpg (56KB, 358x540px) Image search: [Google]
15021743._SY540_.jpg
56KB, 358x540px
What books do i need to read to understand all of Ulysses? All the references, allusions, themes etc
>>
You don't need any. Ulysses will help you understand all the other books rather than the other way round.
>>
Well, you could go either 2 ways: you could just pick up a book that analyses the content or you could spend years reading philosophy and similar works.
>>
>>9062767
Yeah i kinda meant before reading Ulysses. Like as i'm reading it i'm already understanding the references.
>>
>>9062779
You won't, unless you're an Irish scholar. There are too many references to Dublin pop culture, Irish politics at the time, and Irish history.

Best you can do is get an Annotated Edition.
>>
>>9062779
If you're looking for a basis, bc you won't get them all; the Bible and the Greeks
>>
File: 1453136244674.jpg (36KB, 400x460px) Image search: [Google]
1453136244674.jpg
36KB, 400x460px
>>9062759
>all of Ulysses
even if you literally read all of western cannon and lived in sandycove you wouldn't understand all of it. There was only one person who understood all of it.

also

necessary
>iliad > odissey > hamlet > portrait > ulysses

ideal
>bible, divine comedy
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.