[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fellow /lit/izens, I'd like your help please. Is there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: greeks.jpg (161KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
greeks.jpg
161KB, 800x600px
Fellow /lit/izens, I'd like your help please.

Is there a book like Bloom's Western Canon that focuses only on the Greeks and the Romans - something like a comprehensive guide to their literature that goes beyond the usual recommendations (but without excluding them, of course)?

In other words: if one wanted to expend his whole life (or at least some decades) reading only the Greeks and the Romans, is there a guide to help him do this?
>>
File: drama.jpg (121KB, 597x597px) Image search: [Google]
drama.jpg
121KB, 597x597px
>tfw no one cares about your question
>>
Just study greek history. That one pomeroy book n the decent ancient greece guide mentions various poets, also that first poet thing. From thereon your knowledge builds itself automatically. If you want to dedicate your life towards the greeks and romans, then why try to follow an already set path?
>>
>>9062402
Thanks for your help, but I'm not looking for their poetry alone.

I'd like to find a guide that had also the historians and their works, the philosophers, the dramatists, etc. Much like the Western Canon, as I mentioned before, but with this specific focus.
>>
>>9061707
If you want to truly master all the brilliance of the Greeks, Romans, and greatest philosophers and minds of human history, there is actually only one book you have to read. Can you guess what that book is, /lit/?
>>
>>9062967
The history book i mentioned names a lot of them. And besides. Just start with Hesiod and Homer, that should, if you want to do it thoroughly (which seems so, since you wis hto dedicate your life towads it) will take up enough time.
>>
>>9063518
The Pomeroy book I think I know, but which is the "decent ancient greece guide" you mentioned earlier?
>>
File: shameless bump.jpg (29KB, 300x330px) Image search: [Google]
shameless bump.jpg
29KB, 300x330px
>>
>>9061707
there isn't some huge ignored body of surviving works. I'd imagine Bloom's list hits most of it, if not, a google would probably get you there
>>
>>9061707
It takes two years of heavy reading to read pretty much everything surviving from Antiquity. Four counting the Church fathers and Late Antiquity-bizarre era.
>>
>>9061707
Learn Greek and Latin before you worry about any of that.
>>
>>9061707

Just look at the Teubner catalog.

The Canon of Greeks and Romans, strictly defined, includes everything that was ever written by Greeks and Romans during a certain time period and much after. Teubner has most of it but still not all.

There are many excellent, usable literature surveys from the 19th century that talk about all the authors, of course of most of these authors only exist in quotations by grammarians and whatnot.
>>
>>9065900
The catalog you mentioned looks very good as a big, complete list of works. It's not exactly what I'm looking for (I'd like something more like a cohesive guide), but it's a great source anyway. Thanks a lot for the recommendation.
>>
>>9062975
The Bible!
>>
File: le goat face.jpg (27KB, 439x439px) Image search: [Google]
le goat face.jpg
27KB, 439x439px
>>9069166
Then it would be 66 books, my plebeian friend. And zero, if you counted literary value.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.