[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The best way to learn a language is to read books in that language.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: froge.jpg (47KB, 1067x600px) Image search: [Google]
froge.jpg
47KB, 1067x600px
The best way to learn a language is to read books in that language.

You literally cannot prove me wrong. A vast majority of words are rare in conversation and modern teaching styles are hopelessly impractical. Unless it's something like Greek or Russian or Chinese, once you have the basics, you should just grab a book and try to read it. It will be difficult at first, but you'll get much more out of it than you would by doing grammar exercises.
>>
>>9056967
You need to do live communication and grammar exercises. That's why language courses in native's country is the most effective way to learn. Expanding vocab is the easiest part to do and can be literally done by reading dictionaries, you dumb frogposting shit.
>>
>>9056967
*the best way to learn to read a language is to read books in that language

To speak, reading doesn't help all that much. You have to practice fucking speaking.
>>
>>9056986
If it's so easy, why is it not done more? I cannot tell you how many people I've seen try to learn a language and can't even read the literature in that language. What's the point? You can get more from osmosis from books than from conversation, and you will get a deeper understanding of grammar by seeing how the masters actually use it.
>>
>>9057015
There is no osmosis. You would just be staring at a page full of meaningless symbols. People learn languages just fine. Stop being retarded.
>>
>>9057040
I'm saying that you should use it when you already have a beginner's knowledge. Nobody becomes fluent without reading.
>>
>>9057048
Of course you can become fluent without reading. You can be fluent without knowing how to read in a language at all. Fluency is quality of speech, which is only trained by actively engaging in conversation.

Reading overall is the most negligible part of the four. You actually discover and understand the living breathing language through hearing and train to use it effectively through talking and writing. Reading is basically good just for vocab training.
>>
>>9056967
If so, then why literally everyone learns to speak before even reading
>>
>>9057109
this. OP, maybe this is your first time learning a language or something, but if you are trying to attain fluency, the absolute best method is to practice with native speakers, period. Reading is good for seeing vocab in context and learning it that way, but it doesn't translate that well into everyday conversation. Unlike with a book, you have to adapt to the flow of another person in real life, instead of taking your time to puzzle out each sentence. In addition, people always have different vocabularies from literature. No one speaks like characters from Brothers K, as patrician as that would be.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.