[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any good introductions on Sociology? I've read Wikipedia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 5

Any good introductions on Sociology? I've read Wikipedia pages on Durkheim, Veblen, Weber, Marx, Frankfurt School, etc. But I'm unsure what literature is best to give me a general overview of the main concepts and history.
>>
File: Holoplex.png (390KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Holoplex.png
390KB, 640x480px
RealiTTY
By Miles Hingston
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvQV7gqXryR0vFRThNnvyeqOdzHbUq0nI

As mentioned previously, our brains are all about finding and decoding patterns, we are designed to think symbolically. Consider then that as children we have been taught what symbols to use to construct our model of the World. We are taught how to “spell”, or rather be put under the spell of language, just like a computer people are programmed by symbols. Words are also symbols, when we think about things we are really thinking about the construction and interaction of various symbols, it is a code. This is the foundation of magical practice, language is an esoteric science first and foremost

Information as a linguistic object is a rather undiscerning metaphor. Metaphor is for most people a device of the poetic imagination, yet it is much more pervasive in everyday life than most people assume. Our ordinary conceptual system in terms of which we both think and act is fundamentally metaphorical in nature

Language is the medium by which we transmit our thoughts. The language we use to communicate does fundamentally affect how we see the World, language structures thought to atleast the same degree that it reflects thought. For the most part, we live in a world constructed by language. What and how we see the world is tied directly to how we describe it. Linguistic relativity was first suggested by Edward Sapir and Benjamin Lee Whorf when they noticed that differences in language reflect the different views of different people

We can only establish knowledge about something through its interaction with something else. Nothing takes on a meaning by itself, meaning and existence comes only through interaction and relationship. In this way the linguistic associations we build do profoundly affect how we see the world
>>
Language and Reality
Holoplex Productions
youtu.be/zOHvslNI-WI

As Philip K. Dick reminds us, “the linking and unlinking of objects is actually a language”

“To question language is to question being.”

– Georg Hegel

“A change in language can transform our apprehension of the cosmos.”

– Benjamin Lee Whorf
>>
File: 1461868611205.jpg (25KB, 480x410px) Image search: [Google]
1461868611205.jpg
25KB, 480x410px
>I've read Wikipedia pages on Durkheim, Veblen, Weber, Marx, Frankfurt School, etc.

Try reading their actual writings you fucking nigger
>>
>>9055812
Why do you think I made this thread? Of course I'm going to read their works, I'm just wondering if there's an optimal point of entry, like would it be best to just go chronologically or is it best to start at a given point. Or are there any good introductory texts before diverging into specific fields?
>>
File: Language.jpg (2MB, 891x3423px) Image search: [Google]
Language.jpg
2MB, 891x3423px
Other
youtu.be/9gG-VzIRg-M

Who is the Other? The Other is what one considers to be apart from the self, it is the non-self. The construction of the self invariable rests upon the relationship with the Other, the association between what is same and what is different. What is identified as different is treated “differently” by the self, i.e. subordinated. Othering is imperative to forming identities such as nationality, race, religion, gender, sexuality and so on. Jacques Lacan made the distinction between little other and big Other, the first being a reflection and projection of the ego and thus is entirely inscribed in the imaginary order. The big Other transcends the illusory otherness of the imaginary because it cannot be assimilated through identification and therefore lies within the the symbolic.

Oral language cultures are more grounded in the immediacy of their environment, their language does not including time binding, therefore everything remains enchanted and respected.
>>
>>9055831
Chronologically.
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>9055705
Classical Sociological Theory, edited by Calhoun et al., is a good introductory survey. Marx, Weber, Durkheim, Talcott Parsons and a couple others are all covered. I think Adorno is in there too.
>>
>>9055705
Peter L. Berger Invitation to sociology
It's the "classic" often given when you begin.

The Durkheim/Weber may seem outdated but not that much, and it's a good entry point.

I'll try to see if I may get a hand on my first year bibliography, I'm not good into advising out of the blue.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.