[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I need previous knowledge to read Schopenhauer's work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Schopenhauer.jpg (14KB, 300x358px) Image search: [Google]
Schopenhauer.jpg
14KB, 300x358px
Do I need previous knowledge to read Schopenhauer's work? I'm not a philosophy student, so I have not yet read many books on the subject, yet the work of Schopie calls my attention.
>>
>>9055437

Cunt and play-doh
>>
What do you want out of him?
>>
>>9055459
I read a small article on The World as Will and Representation and it really caught my attention. I fear, though, that some previous knowledge on maybe Kant, Plato or other important thinkers might be necessary to understand it.
>>
you should read kant beforehand
>>
>>9055471
well it would help. he also does interpret them idiosyncratically and explain them though.
>>
>>9055473
>>9055482
Great, thanks for the help. I think I'll read more about Kant before starting with Schopie then.
>>
>>9055489
If you want to get into the metaphysics and shit, then yeah read Kant, specifically Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics.

You could read Schopenhauer's Essays without much pre-reading though

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/s/schopenhauer/arthur/essays/
>>
>>9055556
Cool, thanks for the recommendation, will definitely check it out.
>>
>>9055559
Agreed with the other guy, you could quite easily get something out of a collection of his essays straight away.

For his metaphysics and aesthetics proper though, Kant is the major pre-requisite. His aesthetics includes Platonic notions too, so some familiarity with Plato's theory of Forms is necessary.

I'd honestly recommend in your case starting with secondary lit. Brian Magee's Philosophy of Schopenhauer is probably one of the best comprehensive introductions to a particular philosopher out there. It's a fat book which covers all the pre-requisite Kant, and covers almost all facets of Schopenhauer's system.

When I read it I focused on the metaphysics chapters and it was incredibly helpful for me in laying out what developments Schopenhauer made to transcendental idealism.
>>
>>9055489
kant is not really that necessary, shop does really a good job explaining his metaphysics, although his system is in a way a response to Kant's. Maybe read an overview of the critique if youre really that eager to read shop, cause kant can take a while to read, hes no easy cookie you see
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.