[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is there any point in reading the translated version of a book

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1473638011188.jpg (545KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1473638011188.jpg
545KB, 750x1000px
is there any point in reading the translated version of a book ? like for example there's this good japanese or french book, can you even read the translated version ? are you not scared of not getting the 100% of the 'whole experience' because translates will always be imperfect ?
>>
No.
Some languages do translate perfectly to each other tho. Portuguese and spanish, nordic languages, etc.
>>
Of course, but I'll never learn all the native languages of writers that I wish to read so I'll instead settle for the second best thing.
>>
>>9053929
What do you call 'the whole experience', and how do you get it with -any- book, translated or not?
>>
I've got an English translation of Faust and because it's poetry I just know I'm missing the whole fucking point. As such I'm considering buying it in the original German and reading both side by side. My German is shit and this is the only solution I can think of.
>>
>>9053929
Kill yourself piece of shit
>>
>>9053950
Like, something that sounds really poetic in english, won't always sound good too in italian or indonesian, right ? The joke won't be as funny, the whole thing won't be as poetic, etc.
>>
I find it easy to read books translated into English, but I struggle if it's been translated into French or Japanese.
>>
>>9054142
It's a choice between a possibly slightly worse (than the original) experience versus no experience at all. And a possibly slightly worse experience of a masterpiece is still better than most experiences with even great books.

There's a lot of works you should be exposed to and you will never be able to learn all the languages they use. You could start off by only reading english masterpieces but eventually you'll only have great works left without turning to translations or learning a new language.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.