[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've never read this, but have interest in it. I have this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 9780883560167-us.jpg (45KB, 336x500px) Image search: [Google]
9780883560167-us.jpg
45KB, 336x500px
I've never read this, but have interest in it. I have this exact version of the book. Am I supposed to read it as a normal book front to back? I have no experience with religious or spiritual texts.
>>
No you're supposed to read is a a superhero comic in backwards order
>>
>>9050516
Ok, thanks

I was really asking is it meant to be read in sections or something.
>>
>>9050433
I dislike the parts describing what Über monks can do. Surnatural stuff. Like their body disappear when they retreat and die, only for the nails and hair to remain. The "rainbow" if I remember correctly.

Imagine some guy in rural Papua New Guinea reading a book about your surroundings, beliefs, your life style. He could not adhere to it yet comprehend it.

Interesting if you want to get into tibetan beliefs.

If you want to engage with buddhism I would definitely not start with this.
>>
>Asian religious book
>shee dance on front cover

twerking gangnam style Jesus when?
>>
>>9050661
where would you start?
>>
>>905076

With some other book about it. Then maybe dive into it. But if you know nothing about the context man you're lost. In french we have Alexandra David-Néel great books but I doubt it is translated.

>>9050754
lol my thoughts exactly
>>
>>9050433
>I've never read this, but have interest in it.

Just like the rest of this fucking board. Kys
>>
>>9051073
>kys for being interested in something, but not getting around to it yet!
>>
Tibetan Buddhism is actually half Buddhism, half Bon- the religion found in Tibet before it was converted. If you want orthodox, anti-materialist Buddhism start with Theravada.
If you are interested in the culture and history of Tibet, read the Book of the Dead, it's very interesting.

Also has anyone seen Kundun? It's one of my favorite films but I've never heard anyone mention it
>>
>>9052198
good information, thanks
>>
>>9051907
you're retarded

normal person:
>hmm looks interesting I will read this book
>*reads book*
>**forms opinion of it**

average retard /lit/ poster:
>hmm book looks interesting (i.e. I have seen it on the internet a lot)
>better check 4chan and see if they approve of it
>better ask 4chan how I'm supposed to read a book, and if I should read this book's chapters in order or in some other order
>better ask 4chan if there is anything I need to do to "prepare" myself for reading this book
>**never reads book**
or alternatively
>**reads book**
>hmm better ask 4chan to formulate an opinion on this book for me so I decide how to feel about it and if I enjoyed it or not

tldr just read the book you fucking monstrous faggot, you're like those instagram girls who post pictures of their libraries with le vintage penguin classics and hardcover editions but have never actually opened any of them. you just want to *feel like* you're a reader or tell people you're interested in literature, or get into literary discussion without actually doing any of the hardwork (like reading)
>>
>>9053388
Not OP, but that post is extremely ironic. Please, off yourself.
>>
>>9050433
Does it have good prose?
>>
>>9053388
I would hope people discuss books on this site to discuss the material therein.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.