[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Remember, /lit/, a "novel" is not just any long work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

Remember, /lit/, a "novel" is not just any long work of prose. Rather, a novel is a specific type of work with specific conceits that evolved from the romances of the Middle Ages and was refined over the 17th, 18th, and especially the 19th centuries.

The novel's chief conceit is realism and the self. That is, it is concerned with the individual in the ordinary rhythms of life. Sometimes this takes the form of being realistic about things themselves, as in direct, clear narration; sometimes this takes the form of being realistic about how humans know things, as in experimental styles such as stream of consciousness.

But a novel is always "realistic," or, at least, realistic in a materialist sense. So your 100,000 word fantasy masterpiece is not a novel.
>>
What kind of person spends so much time pondering on the meaning of a word?

Who cares if a novel has to be this or that. It just is.
>>
File: ultraviolet-light.jpg (17KB, 468x187px) Image search: [Google]
ultraviolet-light.jpg
17KB, 468x187px
>light is an electromagnetic wave
>light is an electromagnetic wave comprised of frequencies in the humanly recognizable range

If your thread is merely about two concepts that historically have overlapping signs/names, then it was not worth making a thread about it
>>
>>9048715
So what is it? A novella? A dithyramb?
>>
>>9048760
If you're talking about fantasy stories, they're romances, since they follow the conceits of the knightly tales: they're about heroic characters going on fantastic journeys which ultimately lead to improvement of character.
>>
File: larcos.jpg (8KB, 236x172px) Image search: [Google]
larcos.jpg
8KB, 236x172px
>>9048715
What a novel insight
>>
Hey, asshole

Don't forget the 16th century
>>
>>9048715
wowzer! I wanna hear your definition for "art" too!
>>
>>9048731
you're a fucking idiot
>>
>>9048715
Thanks, Stalin.
>>
>>9048715
no
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.