[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be me >yesterday >post thread "post yfw you realized

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: shoot me.jpg (99KB, 1019x768px) Image search: [Google]
shoot me.jpg
99KB, 1019x768px
>be me
>yesterday
>post thread "post yfw you realized there was no such thing as free will" to b8 responses in favor of free will because the idea of not having free will terrifies me but i can't find a satisfactory argument against it
>no one argues

im scared, /lit/, but i guess i have no choice in the matter
>>
>>9047369
There is obviously no free will, you moron.
>>
Why does it matter? The fact that there is or there is not free will doesnt changes your experience of having free will.
Its like worrying what are you made of on a quantum level. It doesnt changr anything
>>
>>9047404

fuck i know

shit
>>
>>9047428

it means that something "happening" isnt how we thought it

it means "consciousness" might just be processing, like streaming a movie

it means there's no reason I'm me and not someone else

it means that i might be experiencing every life at once but can only process one at a time

it means that i'll be every person in history who was ever tortured or maimed or imprisoned

it means the ride never ends
>>
>>9047369
As far as I can tell there are three sorts of people in the world:
1) People who realize the concept of free will is beyond question and quietly laugh at those who don't see this. That's about 90% of everyone.
2) People who, through gaps in their reasoning and poor education, wonder if free will is possible. About 8%, like you.
3) Idiots that can't grasp that their attempts to argue that free will doesn't exist obviates their position. The rest, like Sam Harris.
I take that back - Sam Harris is more likely a con man.
>>
>>9047438

Listen to some Alan Watts.
>>
File: 1451984739032.png (45KB, 300x250px)
1451984739032.png
45KB, 300x250px
There's too much shit that can freak you out. Wether or not we have free will, why we're here, why you are you, if our world is even real etc. You will never get the answers to these questions. Just enjoy the ride.
>>
>>9047438
>it means that i'll be every person in history who was ever tortured or maimed or imprisoned
If you follow this particular point through to the better of its implications, you'll come to find it supremely comforting, I promise.
>>
>>9047438
You came to see the illusion of the self, great. You now can use it to get rid of suffering. Much like >>9047829 said.
>>
>>9047477
>Arguing that free will doesn't exist means you have free will.
What a terrible argument. There is no reason at all that this would follow. You could just be determined to believe that there is no free will, and all of your thoughts/beliefs/attempts to prove that point could also be determined.

In order to prove that there is free will, you would need to show that there is a way man can be an unmoved mover (or just shift the goalposts like compatibilists do, but fuck those people, they haven't proved anything). In my humble opinion, the only way to get to this is by saying man has a soul, and therefore a piece of God inside of him, or do some crazy splitting up of the subject like Sartre does. If you don't like either of those, there's not really any way to show that man is anything more than an effect in the long line of other effects. See Nietzsche's four great errors in Twilight of the Idols, and then proceed to become who you are.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (6KB, 193x254px)
download (1).jpg
6KB, 193x254px
Can someone please explain why not having free will is such a problem? Theologians (pic related) have grasped that moral responsibility and absence of autonomy can easily co-exisit since at least Augustine
>>
>>9047829
>>9047842

i dont want to die of scaphism
>>
>>9047369
Consciousness was a mistake.
>>
>>9047477
Sam Harris is what is called a "Jew," anon.
>>
>>9047369
>post thread "post yfw you realized there was no such thing as free will" to b8 responses in favor of free will

You could've just asked instead of making another shit thread, you know?
>>
>>9047369
From birth to death all of life is linked by millions upon millions of tiny little butterfly effects.

Maybe a nigger robs you and you grow hate for their kind. Maybe a nigger saves your life and you grow into lefty scum. Maybe you dropped your bag on the way to work missing your bus which saves your life because the bus crashes down the road. Maybe you decide to go to the cinema on the wrong day and get shot by some nutter.

The very idea that with all of these aspects combined into one you can just choose what to do next is madness. Any choice you make stems heavily from many aspects of your life that have already happened and cannot be undone.

You do things because things are done to you, and everyone else is the exact same. There is no choice, only the illusion of it.
>>
>>9049262
While I agree, our lives are seemingly more than a collection of choices (to me). We can have thoughts with extremely small details, are all those individual thoughts the result of butterfly effects?

I agree I am very likely to act and behave in a certain way because of my experiences and most of the choices I make will essentially be made with the illusion of choice, but is there no room at all for us to change the path in a small way?

Isn't it possible that if we would rewind time and just let it play out again, not everything would end up being exactly the same?
>>
the smartest guy i ever met was a member of the high is club called "the prometheus society". look it up, it's the real deal. he told me there's no free will, and that kind of terrifies me
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.