[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some more modern Far-future science fiction novels that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: Hyperion_cover.jpg (56KB, 230x400px) Image search: [Google]
Hyperion_cover.jpg
56KB, 230x400px
What are some more modern Far-future science fiction novels that rely on poetic prose as opposed to Uber technical terms to convey (exa: The Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons).

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>9045332
I don't have any answers but I just wanted to say this was the first good request for genre fiction I've ever seen.
Also go to the containment thread.
>>9041042
>>
>>9045332
>wanting prose in an inherently utilitarian genre
what the fuck is the point? read sci fi for the ideas and cool shit. read FW for prose.
>>
>>9045332
Favorite book ever!
>>
>>9045355
Of course I want sci-fi shit in sci-fi novels, but not to the point where it tanks the actual writing.
>>
>>9045332
book of the new sun
>>
File: reeeeeeee.jpg (24KB, 690x388px) Image search: [Google]
reeeeeeee.jpg
24KB, 690x388px
>science fiction
>wonders why there's science
>>
>>9045365
It might be my favorite if it wasn't connected to the garbage that is Endymion
>>
>>9045463
There's quite a difference between
"I am writing this inew am Schrödinger cat box in high orbit over the quarantined world of Armaghast"
and
>Muh 20 pages explaining how a ship'same engine uses photons and theretical physics to power the "hypocapacitor".
>>
also, fuck me for that God awful typo.
>>
>>9045396
Read this OP. My favorite book ever
>>
File: nessus.jpg (73KB, 554x900px) Image search: [Google]
nessus.jpg
73KB, 554x900px
>>9045396
This OP, BoTNS sounds exactly like what you're looking for
>>
>>9045662
>>9045396
Thank you both, I've been meaning to read the series for a while but haven't been compelled until now. I'll definitely get on it!
>>
>>9045821
Awesome OP, you'll enjoy it. It's quite a ride.

By the way, is the Hyperion Cantos worth a read?
>>
>>9045934
Not him but Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion are some of the best fiction novels I've ever read.

Endymion and Rise of Endymion are also pretty good but I prefer to treat them as an epilogue to Hyperion rather than a sequel.
>>
>>9045332
how is Hyperion "poetic prose"? Keats references don't make your prose "poetic"
>>
>>9045985
Hyperion's prose isn't particularly brilliant. The novel is what pseuds latch onto for the superficial reason of its title referencing Keats, and its namedropping of a few other sophisticated sounding articles of culture and literature. Its prose is just above functional, but not even close to the heights of a Nabokov or even an O'Connor.

I can support the Wolfefags here on their endorsement of New Sun. He has the finest prose among science fiction writers, to the point it utterly transcends his competition. Wolfe is a very odd outlier, and very good at what he does. Perhaps only Crowley and Le Guin come close in terms of prose.
>>
File: light.jpg (3MB, 1521x2334px) Image search: [Google]
light.jpg
3MB, 1521x2334px
>>9045332
Light by M. John Harrison
Embassytown by China Miéville
>>
File: groan.jpg (356KB, 700x1117px) Image search: [Google]
groan.jpg
356KB, 700x1117px
>>9046023
>perhaps only Crowley and Le Guin come close in terms of prose

And Peake, desu. Although more fantasy than scifi, but Titus Alone is definitely scifi
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.