[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>age >location >current book you're reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 218
Thread images: 25

File: 1485751097691.png (663KB, 451x577px) Image search: [Google]
1485751097691.png
663KB, 451x577px
>age
>location
>current book you're reading and how do you like it
>>
>>9044827
These threads are always reams of data and nobody talking. What's the point in them?
>>
Brazil
Plato's Parmenides, just started today so it's hard to tell, I didn't get to the juicy parts yet.
>>
Toho
Dragon Drive volume 1
>>
File: IMG_1806.jpg (23KB, 338x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1806.jpg
23KB, 338x600px
switzerland
beyond good and evil so i actually know what i'm talking about when i shitpost
>>
>>9044843
well done you did it
>>
>>9044850
what was it
>>
>>9044834
Data mining for publishers
>>
Canada
Oblivion by DFW

I wasn't too fond of the first story but the next two were quite good.
>>
>>9044851
https://warosu.org/lit/thread/ S9044827#p9044843
>>
>>9044834
To see what other anons are reading, friend.
>>
>>9044856
>>9044861
SAMEFAG
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
United States, Florida
Theatre of Revolt: An Approach to Modern Drama
I'm really enjoying getting another perspective on literature outside of /lit/ for once. Learning that literature occurs within certain contexts which inspire and influences its composition is a completely foreign concept around here.
>>
>20
>Brazil
>The Picture of Dorian Gray
>a bit gay but i like it
>>
File: IMG_1834.png (223KB, 946x362px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1834.png
223KB, 946x362px
>>9044913
ofc you do
>>
North Carolina
Siddhartha. I don't understand the appeal. It seems to make a case for a certain lifestyle and mindset. But it makes no justification for it. At best, one can draw the conclusion that what worked for Siddhartha worked for him but not necessarily for me. 5/10 don't recommend.
>>
>>9044827
Gloucestershire, UK
>>
>>9044969
this is ironic, right? you do know that that's part of the point of the book, right?
>>
Minnesota
Between Wolf and Dog by Sasha Sokolov
>>
Leicester, UK
The Underground Man
>>
>>9045021
>The Underground Man
Meant Notes From The Undeground
>>
>>9044834
It's a data mining scam. What fucking anon would ask for people's ages and locations along with the book they read? These threads go up across multiple boards. No, this is not paranoia. This is someone asking for your data. I do not know who they are or what they are doing with it though.
>>
New Jersey
Reading Dubliners, few books have made me feel so viscerally. I'm looking forward to continuing the Joyce canon, even knowing how weird things get with stream of consciousness. He's just a damn good writer, and between what I'm reading now and his reputation, I see no reason to doubt him
>>
>>9045020
i put this on my list forever ago, didn't know it finally came out
>>
Seattle, WA
C&P

I love it, this is my introduction to Russian lit, and I will definetly read the rest of Dostoyevskys work and then move on to Tolstoy.
>>
NYC
Star Wars: Ahsoka

Been binging all of the EU for a while now. Their YA shit is actually surprisingly respectable. So far it's great. Started off with a duel on Mandalore.
>>
File: IMG_2133.jpg (188KB, 712x528px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2133.jpg
188KB, 712x528px
>24
>Michigan

Beloved for class, American Pastoral for leisure. Some decent sections in Beloved, but lots of bad, drawn out metaphors; long, boring sections that describing someone's feelings; and the use of stream-of-conciousness seems really amateur and makes some of the syntax awful.

American Pastoral is pretty comfy. Phillip Roth seems underrated on this board.
>>
>>9044827
Israel
The Trial
It's a great read but Kafka's a bit of a drag to get through
>>
>>9045035
Paranoid much?

>These threads go up across multiple boards.
>implying
>>
Mexico
The Trial

I'm halfway through and I'm really enjoying it. I hope I end up loving it as I did with The Metamorphosis.
>>
File: 1485668330001.jpg (38KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1485668330001.jpg
38KB, 500x376px
>22
>VA
>The Bible

Shit's cash, yo.
>>
>>9044827
Columbus
Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer. I'm really enjoying it.
>>
>>9045021
My Lc brother, are you at university there?
>>
>19
>poland
>cioran the temptation to exist
>camus the plague, the myth of sisyphus
>peter camenzind by hesse

i am heavily stoned and stressed
>>
Chile
Whatever by Michel Houellebecq. Like it so far, I like autistic ramblings despide not agreeing 100% with him
>>
>>9044827
>24
>London
>the second sex

It's pretty good
>>
>20
>Canada
>As You Like It
I like it
>>
File: IMG_0716.jpg (92KB, 720x705px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0716.jpg
92KB, 720x705px
>24
>Connecticut
>Wolf in White Van

It's fucking good, unlike these threads.
>>
Sweden
Lolita, I really like it.
>>
>20
>California
>True Allegiance by Ben Shapiro

I was hoping for deep political insight but it's literally just World War Z but instead of zombies it's politics. 6/10
>>
>>9045229
>being such a right wing cuck that you'd read a book by that kike

w e w
>>
File: 51S4R4KDYPL.jpg (39KB, 314x475px) Image search: [Google]
51S4R4KDYPL.jpg
39KB, 314x475px
I'm only two chapters in, but I can tell it's going to be a cozy read.
>>
>>9044827
57th realm
silmarillion
kind of makes me smile from time to time because i think about tolkien's beautiful mind but for some reason i cannot get fully into it/him
>>
>>9044837
>>9044913
hello fellow br/tards

>20
>brazil
>ulysses
can't even say how I like it...its actually amazing, its not really like I am reading something, its a experience I never really felt with a book before. currently on Circe and goddamn, I hate long chapters
>>
File: msbennet.jpg (14KB, 236x293px) Image search: [Google]
msbennet.jpg
14KB, 236x293px
What are you lads doing for Valentine's Day? It's quickly approaching, you know.
>>
>>9045647
same thing i did the last 21 years: nothing
>>
>>9044827
>23
>Portugal
>Pic related and the one with about a bunch of kids running around the island blowing on a fucking seashell
Miller is savage, I'm liking his style more than I thought I would, good stuff
>>
>>9045643
Reading in the original?
>>
canada
thus spoke zarathustra
im too high for this shit
>>
>25
>Ontario
>Slade house
haven't gotten into much, so far it's still interesting enough for me to keep on reading.
>>
>>9045753
no, reading translation for few reasons
>found the considered best translation to br-portuguese for very cheap in a store in my city, the original would take 1~2 months to import
>I already knew I was going to read it few times, so I figured it would be interesting to read one of these times translated, see it from 2 """""points of view""""

before I read the original though, I want to finish the bible and the greeks (thucydides, herodotus, euripides, aristophanes, sophocles, etc), the romans and philosophy up to aquinas and augustine.

want to do that with divine comedy too, first time I read it in english and with no philosophy/theology background at all, and after finishing that little list I want to re-read it in portuguese and in the future in italian

>longass answer to a short question
sorry, I get excited to share my plans
>>
North Dakota
Madame bovary
>>
File: ulyssess.jpg (185KB, 572x675px) Image search: [Google]
ulyssess.jpg
185KB, 572x675px
>>9045817
>>9045753
by the way, already ordered ulysses in the original, and the edition of the translated ulysses is pretty nice, the only sin in this edition is the ul'i'sses
>>
>>9045817
I read in the new translation, it's fine as long you don't read only the translations. I have pretty big plans too.
>>
MA
Understanding Analysis by Stephen Abbott

I am a mathematics student and it is a math textbook but it really reads like a novel. Love it.
>>
>>9045836
in which language did you read, may i ask?
>>
File: 85016_gg.jpg (46KB, 421x650px) Image search: [Google]
85016_gg.jpg
46KB, 421x650px
>>9045869
Portuguese translation and the original.
>>
Canada
Just finished Silence by Shusaku Endo. Very fun read, quite enjoyed it.
>>
>>9045882
awful cover desu
>>
>28
>Inherent Vice

Kind of seems like a watered down GR, but it lacks GR's pretension. Would recommend.
>>
america
zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance
idk. seems like a quality book.
>>
>22
>Sydney
>Stress Test by former Treasurer Timothy Geithner writing about the 2008 GFC/an autobiography

it's pretty good
>>
>>9045647
Taking your mum out to dinner, m8.
>>
>>9045647
Since it's on a Tuesday, just gonna spend the night in with my gf reading comics and watching tv. We'll prob fug if she's not on her period.
>>
New York
The Crossing, Cormac McCarthy. It's classic McCarthy though not The Road or Blood Meridian which are my favorites.
>>
Romania
Laws by Plato. Started reading the entire collected works a couple of months ago and I just want to be done with it by now. It's good though and I am enjoying reading it.
>>
>>9044827
>21
>usa
>don quixote (for the first time)

the humor is next level, this guy was contemporary to shakespeare, it just blows my mind

same with the graffiti in pompeii, i don't know why i always assume people in the past didn't have a "modern" sense of humor
>>
>>9045087
>Beloved for Class: An American Pastoral

Thanks for the book turtle.
>>
>>9045151
day passed, not stoned anymore but stressed even more
>>
Moscow
Despair by Nabokov.
I like it but it is hard to read.
>>
>24
>UK
>Orwell's Homage to Catalonia, too much talk of war, the little war there is is terribly written, not enough politics
>>
>>9044827
>21
>Germany
>Steppenwolf by Hesse

Love it. Read Siddhartha first, maybe that was a mistake.
>>
>>9045133
Yeah but live here as well. Go DMU
>>
>20
>netherlands
>father brown stories
Liking it
>>
>21
>Singapore
>Infinite Jest
410 pages in. At times tiresome and somewhat annoying, at times brilliant. It's not proving to be too difficult outside of some of the language. I do feel that I need to slow my pace down at times, reread things that fail to stick. What should I read next?
>>
File: 1406846160738.png (110KB, 328x328px) Image search: [Google]
1406846160738.png
110KB, 328x328px
>>9046741
Literally me

But I'm portuguese.
>>
>>9044840

I don't believe any of this
>>
>>9045619
>for some reason i cannot get fully into it/him
Because the Silmarillion has no plot or characters
>>
>>9047063
nothing, you've finished literature

move on to more intellectual media like anime and tv shows (try game of thrones and agents of shield)
>>
>>9045647
He made reservations for The Melting Pot. So stuff ourselves full of fondue and then probably give him a sad handjob
>>
>>9044827
Dublin, Ireland
I've just started "Hull Zero Three" and I'm liking it so far.
>>
File: bornbright.jpg (38KB, 327x499px) Image search: [Google]
bornbright.jpg
38KB, 327x499px
Atlanta
<- Born Bright

Trying to read more books by women of color
>>
>>9046432
>if she's not on her period.
>>
Ohope, New Zealand
Inside Asia by John Gunther, I can't get enough of the whole 'Inside' series.
>>
>>9047176
You also read Siddhartha first?
How far into Steppenwolf are you?
>>
Melbourne (AUSfag)
'A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man'
Fucking God-tier, fortunately I don't have to read it 20=times. It's starting me down the path of a true patrician, as opposed to the pseudo-fag I was before.
>>
norway
Infuence: The Psychology of Persuation

Decent, the guy uses a lot of time to explain each point though. Could've been half the length, while still getting all the points across.
>>
>24
>Montreal
>Don Quixote

It's all rather tragic isn't it.
>>
>>9047188
Yeah it does. You just need to read it in a different way that most books. Try to study it the way you study a topic you like, instead of reading it like a normal book.
>>
California
Underworld by Delillo

Dig it so far.
>>
>>9044827
London
Ham On Rye - the main character is hateable and i want it to finish.
>>
>>9047233
Yes and?
>>
Michigan, USA
The Satanic Verses, Quite good, I like pretending that anything is possible and that all religions are real in this fictional universe. Magical Realism is turning into one of my favorite genres.
>>
>>9047245
I did, it was my first Hesse and I loved every moment of it.
Page 160 of the "My Penguin" edition. About 3/5ths in, judging by eye. Oh, and I skipped the introduction.

How about you?
>>
>>9045246
>He thinks intellectual conservatism represents the right

Lel. The right is trash. True conservatives like Shapiro at least know all we want is our right and to be left the fuck alone

>>>/pol/
>>
WA
Confessions of a Mask. It's not as good as Sea of Fertility.
>>
>>9044827
>19
>Munich
>Mokiwa - A white boy in Africa

just getting interesting
>>
South Australia
The Glass Bead Game

>is evil necessary
>if it is, is it really evil?
>is good not the real evil?
>(in this analogy evil is non-academic careers and academic careers=good)
>well it sure is a pickle, but i respect anyone who makes either decision, in light of how prickly a pickle it is, after all
Have I predicted the rest of the book? I'm ninety pages in.
>>
>>9045094
I assume you are not reading Kafka in German.
Don't you feel you are most likely being robbed of the greatness of the author by reading a translated version of their book?
All you are getting is the translated plot.
Translated words might be interpreted differently in each language or exact translation of that word might not even exist.
I would loose out so much reading Moby Dick in german than if I read it in Englisch.
>>
Detroit
Ghetto, it's kinda cool I had no idea jews were in ghettos first
>>
>>9044827
>20
>Mexico
>The Count of Monte Cristo, so far this has been the longest book i've read, but it's so good that it doesn't even feel that long, except for the part where Franz and Albert are just doing aristocratic stuff which i found a little boring. Nevertheless the book has picked up again my attention
>>
>>9047924
Early ghettoes were populated by people who preferred indigence to the shame of indentured servitude or low-paid manual labour.

Having a notable presence in early ghettoes is continuous in the contemporary setting with haughtiness.
>>
>>9047942
yeah the very first ones, sort of like a china town but then it became forced and more harsh
>>
>>9044827
26, San Diego and currently reading Carlos Fuentes 'The Crystal Frontier,' I grew up near the canadian border in WA and have always been intrigued by the way border areas have cultures that represent both sides while simultaneously being unlike either and this book has been an interesting exploration of that idea so far.
>>
Netherlands
Thus spoke Zarathustra
>>
>>9045035
Idk why people don't believe this. The noise to response ratio on these threads are abysmal, and it's a literally free way for whoever to get info on a somewhat random sample. Just knowing that SOMEONE is reading X book can be pretty valuable desu.
>>
Halifax, NS
The Catcher in the Rye

It's 50/50.
>>
>>9047195
I swear The Melting Pot is the place to go when you have given up on your relationship, but you haven't reached Olive Garden-tier yet.
>>
I'm reading a textbook at the moment, so I'll instead use the book I recently finished

Cambridgeshire
The Dead Mountaineer's Inn. Brilliant. Fiction makes up ~1/3rd of my reading, and half the time I don't enjoy it. I wasn't expecting much from Russian writers (Russian literature being too deep for me) but this is one of the most entertaining books I have ever read. Cosy and with interesting characters. There is a dip in quality in perhaps the last 1/3rd of the book, once all of the characters have been introduced and the detective gets stuck into his head-scratching. The pace slows; the antics are over and it becomes more meditative. I would have preferred less of a cop-out ending, or simply a better, more teased-out reveal.
>>
German Empire
Demian by Hermann Hesse, just started but I hope it is as good as his other novels
>>
>>9048527
The character of Phoebe is what made the book for me. The only likeable character.
Being anxious and having breakdowns, I can empathise with Holden, but he is a douche and so am I, and without Phoebe I'd have just been overloaded with the annoying Holden.
>>
>>9045035
>No, this is not paranoia
>This is someone asking for your data. I do not know who they are or what they are doing with it though.

sounds like paranoia to me
>>
>>9044840
Grandpa?
>>
>>9045056
Well meme'd.
>>
>>9048603
>I'm reading a textbook at the moment, so I'll instead use the book I recently finished

I, too, am reading a textbook. Which one are you reading and what for?
>>
>>9045882
is this loss?
>>
>>9047031
Nice man, I used to go to QE, the 6th form college, next to uni of LC
>>
>>9048971
I don't understand?
>>
File: LOL.png (9KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
LOL.png
9KB, 500x500px
>>9048997
>>
>>9049025
Oh, I see
>>
New Jersey
A Sportsman's Sketches
Pretty comfy to be desu
>>
>>9049096
Hey! just read this. fucking loved it. my favorite was Living Relics. probably my favorite russian author.
>>
>>9045094
Dude, I started with The Metamorphosis (read it in portuguese) You're gonna love The Trial's ending, Shit Impacted me pretty hard. Like a dog, some would say.
>>
michigan
cioran. ill know how I like it once i start reading it.
>>
Canada
I, Robot: To Obey

It's okay. I'm almost done. It is clear that nothing will be resolved by the end of it, and it will likely end on a cliffhanger.
I'm getting real sick of Sci-fi.
>>
Scotland
The Trial

will K ever find a girl that doesnt want to fuck him
>>
File: image.jpg (49KB, 300x495px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 300x495px
>28
>Amsterdam
>Explosion in a Cathedral by Alejo Carpentier

Only 30 pages in, but these are the best 30 paves I've read in months. My rate so far: 10000000/10
>>
>>9047189
Thanks for the rec, I think I'll just kill myself if this is the conclusion of literature
>>
NYC
Theaetetus / Kuhn's Structure of Scientific Revolutions / Finishing up CoMC
- I like all of them. With that being said, I'm not quite sure if CoMC was worth the time investment.
>>
>>9047411
He rapes his sister, hoagie
>>
>25
>NYC
>The Loser
It's really great. I'd highly recommend it.
>>
>>9045072
>>9046442
>>9050425
>>9050435
Look at all of this NYC
We should meet up and jerk off to the meme trilogy IRL instead of the Japanese Ironing Board
>>
>>9045035
This alnost seems like it could be true until you consider how slow this board is (which means there aren't even that many posters here) and the fact that most books aren't that expensive. I think autism or boredom are more likely explanations.
>>
>>9050432
I finished it before I saw your faux-spoiler, anon.
>>
>18
>To the lighthouse
I understand why people consider this a difficult read, and I feel like I am getting through it much more slowly than the past few things I have read (animal farm, Huck finn), but I am really liking it ao far.
>>
California
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Hilariously entertaining, not too pompous.
>>
>>9045021
was gna say something smug about going to the real leicester uni but you're probably better read than me so I guess I'll just shut my trap
>>
>18
>NZ
>Butcher's Crossing

I'm enjoying it more than Stoner.
Don't know why William didn't fuck the chubby whore.
>>
>>9044827
Minnesota
Pic related, I'm enjoying it but it's a very slow read.

I've noticed the last couple years I have more and more trouble retaining what I read. Not sure if it's because of the concussion I had a few years back or just getting old. I read Camus' The Fall last month and I had trouble figuring it out, in a way I don't think I would've if I'd read it at 30. I read Steppenwolf a couple years back and it felt really important to me, and I can't fucking remember why anymore. Anybody else have this, where stuff they used to be able to get before, now just makes them feel stupid?
>>
toronto
1q84
shit
>>
UK
Eichmann in Jerusalem
Fantastic, terrifying, informative and insightful.
>>
>>9044827
Canada
For whom the bell tolls. I rather liked the old man and the sea, but The ones crap
>>
Latvia
The Aleph by Borges. Nabokov seemed to hold Borges in high regard, but I've just begun reading him, so too soon to form an opinion.
>>
People who think this is some sort of elaborate data mining scheme and not just a misguided way for OP to try and meet chicks are retarded

Anyway

I'm 38, living in Oklahoma and I'm currently working my way through the Harry Potter series for the third time. Any questions?
>>
>>9051281
why would you read that three times?
>>
File: 1486009554482.gif (480KB, 493x342px) Image search: [Google]
1486009554482.gif
480KB, 493x342px
>>9051281
>>
>>9050901
He sperged out thinking about all the dicks that had been in his cereal.
>>
>>9051286
I read it once for completion, twice for understanding, three times for absorption.
>>
>21
>canada
>On the road, Jack Kerouac
>>
Chicagoland area
Stoner by John Williams, wonderfully written still too early to tell
>>
chicago
stoner by john williams, finely written but too early in the book to have a full formed opinion
>>
>>9044827
UK
Lanzarote by Michel Houellebecq

It's interesting enough so far.
>>
>>9044827
Germany
Tomorrow we live, Oswald Mosley
Quite interesting
>>
>>9044827

England
Albert Camus - La Peste

not as good as his other books
>>
File: 1445797689467.jpg (47KB, 500x529px) Image search: [Google]
1445797689467.jpg
47KB, 500x529px
Sweden
If on a winter's night a traveller, by Italo Calvino

Calvino has definitely cemented his place as amongst the, maybe even the one, author I enjoy most reading. I love his attempts to play with the very act of storytelling itself in Castle of Crossed Destinies and Invisible Cities, and this work hasn't failed in that regard.

I also just finished Red Sorghum by Mo Yan, which got me into the mood to pick up an east Asian classic, maybe Tale of Genji or Water Margin.
>>
>>9044827
>25
>Croatia
>Descartes, Meditationes de Prima Philosophia

It's okay. I've read better. He's way too extreme when completely discarding sensual experience.
>>
>20
> some Minnesota bordertown
> Inherent Vice

People said this was a "lesser" Pynchon, so I chose to read it first to get used to his style. I'm enjoying it so far, it's a acid drenched beach-bum detective story.

Can anyone suggest what I should read next by him?
>>
>>9053555
Nice to see another Minnesotan on this board. I'd suggest reading the Crying Lot of 49 next and then Gravity's Rainbow. Enjoy!
>>
>>9053555
Read Inherent Vice first then moved onto Crying of Lot 49 next. I think I made a really good choice. Seems like the consensus is they're both kind of "Pynchon for babies" as far as Pynchon goes but as far as I'm concerned neither of them are slouches.
>>
>20
>Ohio
>The Silmarillion
>>
North Carolina
Filth - The content is interesting enough, but it is truly a slog reading through this shit written as if it was transcribed by dictation software from someone with a heavy cockney accent. Every two or three pages I have to read a word or sentence aloud to make sense of it. I realize this was intentional (to a degree), but it just isn't for me.
>>
File: jakeel8.jpg (60KB, 560x1280px) Image search: [Google]
jakeel8.jpg
60KB, 560x1280px
>>9044827
Southeast U.S.
Bouncing back and forth between 2666, Dracula, and Legacy of Totalitarianism in the Tundra I stopped 2666 because I had some major life events come and fuck me up and I was planning on taking breaks in between sections since it was conceived as several different books. Dracula was great until I left Transylvania and then I got a tad bored and the major life events kind of also sidetracked my attention to it. I decided to finish Tundra to give myself something retarded to read that I wouldn't need to be invested in.

I also just finished reading The Mothman Prophecies by John Keel for the third time.

boobs
>>
Reading crime and punishment.
I knew fyodor was my nigga ever since I read notes. This book has that intense emotional vibe he does so well, but has more characters that all are so well entwined. I'm near the end and I'm hoping for a few more hits to the feels before I have to pick up my copy of the brothers.
>>
>>9053926
I wholeheartedly recommend giving The Idiot a read. Gave me more feels than Crime and Brothers. Myshkin will take you on one hell of an emotional rollercoaster.

On a different note, I also recommend reading Oblomov by Goncharov. That one made me tear up.
>>
>>9053561
>>9053555
>>9050930
>>9045020
damn there are a lot of minnesotans on here.
>>
Minnesota
The principia mathematica
>>
>>9054159
Nothing else to do but read in this frozen hellhole this time of the year.
>>
>>9045826
How is it?
>>
>>9046741
Absolute shit taste. Try Thomas Mann.
>>
>>9055872

>>9048626
Same goes to you. Absolute pleb.
>>
>20
>UK
>Gravity's Rainbow
About a third of the way through now. It's a bit of a chore in places trying to keep track of what the fuck he's on about, but I'm enjoying it overall; love the humour especially.
>>
File: cover.jpg (59KB, 305x475px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
59KB, 305x475px
>20
>B.C
>Norwegian Wood

I am enjoying it a lot. I did read much in high school, I started again recently. So far I've read The Stranger, and No Longer Human, and have liked both of them. Any recommendations for more books in these kinds of styles? I tried to read Dostoevsky and I found it kind of dense, which is hard to get through since I haven't read seriously in a long time.

t. an absolute baby pleb
>>
>>9044827
>25
>NY
>Ulysses, enjoying it a lot, easily one of the best books I've ever read
>>
>>9057527
>one of
>>
>19
>VA
>Heart of a Dog
>>
>>9050439
There was a small NYClit meetup back in October, I was there and it was nice. I'm not sure how a larger one would go though. It'd probably get progressively more autistic with each additional person.
>>
>>9044827
>20
>Peru
>The Brothers Karamazov
I like prety much Dostoyevski books.
>>
>>9045035
fucking reptilians
>>
Lithuania
The Glass Bead Game, not too bad but hope there will be an explanation what the game actually is,
>>
>21
>NYC
>Don Quixote
Started with the read-through but am reading ahead a bit
>>
>>9044827
US
Blood Meridian, it's garbage and I think i'm going to drop it.
>>
>26
>New Zealand
>Tistou of the Green Thumbs

I never read it as a kid. It's very sweet.
>>
R*ssia
Human Action: A Treatise of Economics by Ludwig von Mises
Austrian School is great
>>
>>9044827
Northern Ireland
just finishing Underworld by Delillo

started great, lost me towards the end, epilogue is good
>>
>>9044827
>19
>East Tennessee
>Moby Dick, p good :-)
>>
24, Belgium, Memoirs of a Geisha

Not bad, it picked up near the end when she got into war and the actual (adult) life of geishas. Nice to see that POV for the war effort in Japan. A nice quote is that it doesn't matter how wealthy or powerful you are: everyone dies in wars.
>>
>>9045755
>be me in college
>pleb never read more than a few books
>at a friends party, stoned, very stoned
>lets call my friend Liam
>Liam is going through his Nietzsche phase
>Thus Spoke Zarathustra is on his table
>"hey Liam whats that book?"
>his eyes light up
>"sit down anon ill read the most profound passage ever to you"
>Liam reads the passage where the spirit becomes a camel, lion, then child
>"what do you think anon"
>"Liam it sounds profound but i am so stoned and id have to read this when im sober"
>"anon how does this not make sense to you, its like the most profound and simple thing you will ever read"
>"i get it Liam, im just stoned"
>"cmon anon its not that complicated"
>"its all good Liam ill read it some other time"
>"hold on dude ill read it slower this time, trust me its simple"
>Liam reads the same passage again. Music has stopped playing. Everyone is watching this scene now, nothing else is going on
>"guy it sounds great, its not your fault im just fully retarded when im high"
>And that was how i defeated Liam's attempt to sell me on the profundity of Nietzsche. He was quite disgusted with me after this tussle, how dare a degenerate pothead disgrace Our Lord and Savior
>>
>22
>Groningen
>Kaas, Elsschot

It's my favourite writer, so I know what I'm in for.
>>
>20
>France
>Catch-22

It's pretty great
>>
>>9061046
/lit/ is a Catholic board. No proddies allowed.
>>
Cape Cod, MA
The Ghost Writer, Albert Roth. I truly hated Nathan at the start, he's grow on me in part 2
>>
Poland
The man in the high castle. I may refund
>>
> 31
> London
> Calibans War (Expanse 2)

It's ok I guess.
>>
File: 1465702477859.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1465702477859.gif
2MB, 320x240px
Poland
Mann's Magic Mountain, it's great, it's worth it just for the Settembrini character alone
>mfw it's a Hans tries to sound smart and discusses philosophy part of the book
>>
>>9047195
>overpriced food you have to cook yourself

I will never, ever understand this. I get that it's fun, but that fun lasts for 3 minutes. Then you have to finish cooking your unseasoned chicken for the next hour.
>>
I am 24 Years Old, Male

From Germany, Koblenz

And i read 1984, its amazing if you realize how old it is, and still so relevant.
>>
>>9061129
this
>>
File: 1443864209549.jpg (99KB, 540x300px) Image search: [Google]
1443864209549.jpg
99KB, 540x300px
>>9044827
I like to imagine somebody got to throw a book at this slut's face multiple times before she got this perfect picture to post on reddit
>>
Perú

Hesse's Steppenwolf.

Shit's compelling but at times boring.
>>
>25
>san francisco
>virgin soil, medium
>>
British Columbia
Philosophical Investigations

What can be said, the man is a straight up genius.
>>

rural Texas

James Carse-Finite and Infinite Games

not bad at all
>>
>19
>Michigan
>just finished Suttree. Going to start either Ulysses or A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man next, undecided.
The book was really comfy except for the last quarter, I'd say.
>>
>>9044827
>22
>texas
>crying of lot 49, very good so far for a meme
>>
Texas
Eragon. Got all the books when i was young but never read them all. re reading eragon is a great nostalgia
>>
>>9044827

>30
>Germany
>Gleick's 'Chaos': ok. 'The Information' better.
>The Familiar v.3 by MZD: much enjoy.
>Braidotti 'Nomadic Subjects' : bad/10
>>
hungary
pretty fucking good. im not an intellectual though just a lil bab
>>
File: no pump-a-rum.jpg (6KB, 215x234px) Image search: [Google]
no pump-a-rum.jpg
6KB, 215x234px
>>9044827

>25
>Finland
>re-reading the complete collection of Edgar Allan Poe. It sucks cause it's translated into finnish meaning all the subtle nuances, maxims and figures of speech of english is lost to it.
>>
>18
>Texas
>Dear and loathing in Las Vegas
It is fucking great. Got it last afternoon and have been reading it in as much of my spare time as I can. I'm only 63 pages in, but so far it reads like a less violent real life version of "A Clockwork Orange". The book I read before this was Schopenhauer's essays and aphorisms, and that was some of the best philosophical reading I've done in a while. It definitely is worlds apart from fear and loathing though.
>>
>>9062828
>>9062926
>>9062951
There are a lot of us here. Maybe it's because our state has the real DFW.
>>
>>9044827
Spain
Second Foundation

I'm really enjoying Asimov's Foundation trilogy. Maybe I'll read some of his other works
>>
>>9044827
>22
>American in Germany
>Harry Potter und der Feuerkelch

Honestly I thought this would be the best HP book in German, but the Chamber of Secrets was way better. I'm not exactly sure what happened to Rowling but she dropped the ball so fucking hard it's ridiculous. The second book had mystery, danger, and magic. The problem is that the characters are just so retarded. However, if you take the belief that Dumbledore might just be manipulating the kids, and that they were never in any real danger, then the book is pretty neat.

I mean like, it seems like such an obvious setup. Like the greatest wizard in the world sticks the kid with a fraction of Voldemort's soul in the same conditions and then just fucks off? And then this same kid starts school and Dumbledore just lets him be potentially fucking evil? And it's also like there's not an infinite number of ways for him to manipulate Harry into fulfilling that dumb prophecy which is super dumb and doesn't make any sense. Especially because without the prophecy Dumbledore could have just accomplished it, with just his own intellect. 2 birds 1 stone etc.

Yeah and I'm supposed to believe that not every remotely powerful wizard can read minds. And time turners are super fucking dumb but they didn't need to be blanket removed from the universe. She's such a hack. Honestly I think that move in particular speaks to her impotent creativity.
>>
Poland
Amerika

Really good book like others from Kafka.
>>
India (Please no bully)
Crime and punishment
>>
21, starship troopers

Great book. Nothing like the movie, but I cant help but superimpose the face of the actor to the main character in the book. Im halfway through, and it has been nothing but "bootcamp in the future is tough", but I enjoy that.
>>
File: speedkentuckyham.jpg (80KB, 383x580px) Image search: [Google]
speedkentuckyham.jpg
80KB, 383x580px
>22
>Western inland US
>Speed and Kentucky Ham - William S Burroughs Jr

Really entertaining so far (~quarter way through Speed), bit of an easy read, still I find Burroughs Jr. to be really interesting, especially through his rocky relationships with peers and drug use.
>>
>23
>America
>Citizens: A Chronicle of the French Revolution, Simon Schama

Seems like a well written overview of the revolution with a pretty heavy focus on the financial aspect.

Only on the third section though so I haven't really formed an opinion yet.
>>
>20
>brazil
>finished ulysses today
damn it felt good
>starting história da civilização (history of civilization) by oliveira lima, one of brazil's most renowed historian
Thread posts: 218
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.