[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best english translation for the Tanakh and the Torah?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: koren-jerusalem-tanakh.jpg (16KB, 201x282px) Image search: [Google]
koren-jerusalem-tanakh.jpg
16KB, 201x282px
What is the best english translation for the Tanakh and the Torah?
Thinking of pic related and the JPS Torah
Also any other essential Jewish texts before going into Christianity?
>>
Art of the Deal
>>
>>9043342
>the Tanakh and the Torah
For what it's worth, the Torah is part of the Tanakh (it's the T; the N is the prophets and the K is the other writings)
>any other essential Jewish texts before going into Christianity
No and while we're at it the Tanakh is the Old Testament, so you could just get a Bible. The Gospel of Matthew in particular does a nice job of making connections to the OT, along with others like Romans, Hebrews, and Revelation.
>>
>>9043342
Jewish scholars are some of the best at hermeneutics but the texts they derive their analysis from are batshit crazy. I would only recommend reading the KJV plus apocrypha, depending on your chosen denomination.
>>
>>9043370
do you like robert alter?
>>
>>9043386
Haven't read him.
>>
just read the Jewish Study Bible
>>
File: Näyttökuva (248).png (2KB, 179x85px) Image search: [Google]
Näyttökuva (248).png
2KB, 179x85px
>>9043343
kek

>>9043364
So the Torah is a part of the Tanakh and the Tanakh is just the Old Testament? Is there any difference between the Tanakh and the Old Testament?
And what about the Talmud? Is it inside some other text too?

pic unrelated, we are just hitting some biblical numbers in this thread
>>
>>9043923

>So the Torah is a part of the Tanakh
correct

>and the Tanakh is just the Old Testament?
Yes, although if you count the Apocryphal books as part of the OT, then that is not part of the Tanakh. (Of particular relevance in the non-canon status of the Apocrypha is the lack of Hebrew manuscript support for those books.)

>And what about the Talmud? Is it inside some other text too?
The Talmud is basically a Jewish commentary. It's not in the Old Testament/Tanakh and in fact was written more recently than the New Testament
>>
Just read Jared Kushner's diary senpai.
>>
>>9044435
>Daily reminder that Christianism is older than modern day judaism
Cracks me up every time tbqh.

OP, read Sayings of the Fathers, but don't actually go through the Talmud, christ.
>>
>>9045373
Underrated post
>>
>>9045392
>don't actually go through the Talmud, christ.
Why? Is it just the size of it or is it the content?
>>
>>9047212
The size is colossal and the content is the opinions of rabbis arguing amongst each other
>>
*farts in your ass*
>>
>>9043342
Best English translations are those by Robert Alter and Everett Fox. Alter is more accurate then any other translator I've looked at, and he has very good notes regarding philological and stylistic details, and he makes very good choices in his manuscript selections. Fox relies on the Masoretic text, which has issues with it, for his manuscript, but you'll find no other translation that'll put you into the mindset of the Tanakh and its language.

If you're looking for a decent one volume bible, the Revised Standard Version is accurate and stylistically decent, and the Jerusalem bible (both the original and the NJB) is an excellent edition with the Deuterocanonicals/Apocrypha.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.