[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just finished A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens and it [spoilers]just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: tale-of-two-cities-book-cover.jpg (71KB, 510x680px) Image search: [Google]
tale-of-two-cities-book-cover.jpg
71KB, 510x680px
Just finished A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens and it [spoilers]just wasn't that good[/spoiler]

Sure the opening line is great, there are some great passages (when the child gets run over by the marquis for example), the plot works (even if it felt predictable at times and I wasn't invested).

But other than that, jeez. I didn't care for most of his characters, especially the 'good' ones that are absolutely perfect in every aspect. I enjoyed Dickens' view of the post revolution society (a lot of senseless killing but with a sense of 'they are lashing out because of years of oppression, this could happen again') but it still lacked a lot of depth for me: most of the french characters ended up acting like Evil Characters. Also, I didn't feel like I was actually in London or Paris but more like I was reading a stage play.

I went in expecting a masterpiece and I ended up with an ok book.

What are your thoughts?
>>
I got about two thirds in and just dropped it desu

usually I finish books I don't like that much if I'm in far enough but this really was an exception
>>
You're just not that smart.
>>
>>9043039
I actually lack the self-awareness to process info like that and take it to heart, so the joke's on you dum dum
>>
>>9043059

I'm not trying to hurt your feelings nor am i joking. When people complain of the best books written being not that good, which trust me if you go on goodreads you'll find hundreds of thousands of them who love to insult the best authors on a day to day basis and take a particular pride in the fact that they "see" through the book and the hype about the book and are one of the few to realize that oh my god this book is rubbish.
>>
Not any of the posters criticising ATOTC but nicholas nickleby was also boring shit.

dickens wryly commenting on the characters was funny when it happened the first time. When it happened the next 50 times within the next two pages it was ok. When it happened ten trillion more times within the next 300 pages and the whole book could be summarised as "shit happens", I got bored as fuck.

but nvm, I'm sure I couldn't really see what was going on. I'm sure that Dickens was elucidating his theory of Quantum Chromodynamics as it was known at the time, and its compatibility with the Aether that was believed to exist. All while meditating on the existence of a just God in a world with multiple warring religions and the compatibility with free will. That's correct, right?
>>
I dropped it after 20 pages
>>
>>9043086
But mister, can you please say something of the merits of the book?
>>
I haven't read any Dickens but what is his masterpiece and where do I start?
>>
>>9042997
Some people just can't into Dickens writing style and that's fine.
>>
>>9044020
>I haven't read any Dickens but what is his masterpiece and where do I start?
Dicken's would tell you it's David Copperfield. I'd say Bleak House or Great Expectations.
>>
>>9042997
>It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Also thought the early-Victorian disgust with late-18th-century England was pretty interesting.

But yeah it wasn't that great. I can't even remember the names of any of the characters except Sidney Carton, although granted I read it like 15 years ago. I know he died to white knight for some married chick who probably had blonde hair, although I don't remember her name or that of her husband.
>>
>>9043086
A Tale of Two Cities isn't one of the best books ever written, though. It's Dickens at his worst: verbose, sentimental, fixated on twee moralizing.
>>
File: ehhhhhh.png (387KB, 661x661px) Image search: [Google]
ehhhhhh.png
387KB, 661x661px
>>9042997
>when the child gets run over by the marquis
rose of versailles did it better
>>
>>9042997
I thought it was alright, up until the ending which was pretty great.

A lot of the appeal of a Dickens novel will be lost on todays readers, simply because his style, especially the way he does characters, has been so endlessly mimicked, to the point where it has just become part of how we write.

But you were too pleb to notice, I guess.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.