[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just want to take a second to talk about how The Great Gatsby

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: large.jpg (101KB, 500x307px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
101KB, 500x307px
I just want to take a second to talk about how The Great Gatsby is one of the worst, most dull, pedantic book I have ever read. Perhaps it would have made more sense to me had I read it decades ago when its jargon was common, but even then I find the book to be borderline doldrum. It's the story of an asshole who meets a decent guy who falls completely in love with a cunt so vapid it makes the book look like the Dissertation of Man by comparison. I don't like Gatsby either, he's an idiot that I at least sympathize to some degree, yet I find his character to be as infuriatingly dense as it is purportedly intelligent.
But the book itself is ultimately just damn boring, and while I don't think it's written poorly in a technical sense, as it makes great use of literary techniques to create believable characters and imagery, its meaning is shallow and has no right to drone on like a self important twat only to show to me how unlikable everyone in the fucking book is. It's like Keeping up with the Kardashians in book form and I couldn't force myself to be interested in it.

I do not understand why the book is held in such high regards in so many circles. It is uninteresting, surface level tripe. It only maintains any mystery at all due to depriving you of any significant information, leaving you to infer what is going on, but anyone familiar with the time period will pick up on exactly what is happening by chapter 4, leaving its shocking reveals to be as stimulating as being hit with a wet piece of bread.
>>
>>9040870
I masturbated with a wet piece of bread before
>>
>>9040920
>>
>>9040870
I haven't gotten around to finishing it yet, but I feel like these characters are so far detached from God (good morals) that they have no hope of ever saving themselves from ignorance or vapidity. It's an interesting concept, imagine if you lived in a society that forced circumcision and also kept secret that foreskins exist. You wouldn't feel a need to regain anything or even at loss because you have no idea you lost anything. The book is kind of an analysis of people functioning without any sort of moral guidance, I'm sure the books later point is that humans need that guidance, or maybe it isn't.
>>
>>9041061
I won't spoil anything and even saying that, you might want to not read this part just so I don't taint your expectations of the ending but the ending is the least satisfying part of the book for me, and why it left such a bad taste in my mouth. Perhaps that's the point,
for the ending to suck and to leave a bad taste in your mouth, but I hate it. I'm not a guy that needs happy endings but the ending doesn't even have closure.
>>
>>9040870
It's for high school freshman, don't feel bad, it's supposed to be literal dog shit.
>>
>>9040920
I put a Twinkie in my ass and squeezed it out over the toilet.

I stuck a hammer in my ass. And a broom.

100% straight
>>
>>9040870

I also have a low opinion of The Great Gatsby, anon. There have been pieces of required reading in HS that I genuinely liked. Great Gatsby was not one of them.

It is a book which serves the interests of the State. It is an example of American literature which became popular, and I suppose does have some literary merit in its own right. So the teachers can go "here is a great american novel kids". It is short, thus making it amenable to study for a few weeks in a high-school level public classroom, whose express purpose is of course to serve the State. It provides a sketch of how a novel ought to go (some things happen), and does so without an exceedingly pessimistic view of the world, or without any particular intimations toward anything undesirable to the State, such as: subverting it. One might feel an emotion or two, but nothing really transcendant or transgressive takes place. Thus, it is an acceptable text for use by the State in the education of its young in the arts.
>>
Thomas did nothing wrong
>>
>>9041117
I got a lot more out of the Lord of the Flies. And perhaps that's because my English teacher when we covered that was just plainly excellent. (He used to teach High School, then he was invited to teach College for a significant pay raise, then he went back to High School because he hated the atmosphere at the college and was more interested in teaching impressionable kids than making money and flunking students on technicalities.)

The Lord of the Flies actually made me think and think hard, and while it was incredibly verbose almost to the point of boring me I still managed to read the whole thing through. The analysis of chapters we had in class thoroughly interested me and unlike in Gatsby, made perfect sense but wasn't common sense either.
I really loved that class because my teacher even got the dumb blonde bimbos in on the conversations and they had actual "Oh wow!" moments in our dissertations.

Not to claim LotF is super deep either, but it actually made me think a bit and its message wasn't something I had ever actually much considered. Not in that angle at least.

Lord of the Flies is really what got me into more analytical literature in general. I couldn't care less about the Heart of Darkness or Gatsby by comparison.
>>
More like The GAY Gatsby amirite
>>
>>9041117
>It is a book which serves the interests of the State

It's a book which exposes the decadence, vapidity and fakeness of the American ruling class. Serving the interests of the state, my arse.

You sound like you got an 'F,' and have been blaming the book ever since.
>>
>>9041150
What was the message of Lord of the Flies? That beneath the veneer of civility of modern society all it takes is a nudge to throw us back to stone age tribal society and witch hunting? That the nature of man in inherently savage?

I think I read it back in High School but I actually can't remember much about it, other than they hunted the fat kid for being a nerd
>>
>>9041563
Basically that, yes. That order and society only exists so long as we're willing to maintain it, and that all it takes is one influential man to turn civility on its head.

LotF was written as a reaction to the Holocaust primarily. The red head is an analogy to Hitler, he promises the boys a strong leader, but initially they side with the protag because hes the nicer of the two.

As time goes on the rest of the boys eventually fall under the sway of the "stronger" of the two, and they kill the autistic kid and then the fat kid, and try to kill the protag and end up setting most of the island on fire in their attempt to find him.
It's all a parallel for the Nazi's rise to power, and how a civilized nation can radicalize in a terribly short amount of time if successfully enticed by a strong leader promising them some of his strength.
>>
File: trump-gif-quotes.gif (1MB, 464x333px) Image search: [Google]
trump-gif-quotes.gif
1MB, 464x333px
>>9041621
>how a civilized nation can radicalize in a terribly short amount of time if successfully enticed by a strong leader promising them some of his strength.
>>
File: 1447546846432.png (129KB, 275x226px) Image search: [Google]
1447546846432.png
129KB, 275x226px
>>9041649
Look don't start this because at the end of the argument I'm going to be very angry and you're going to be very butthurt.
The only people who equate Trump with Hitler are idiots who have never opened a history book after High School and I read reports on German troop movements on the Eastern Front for fun when I'm bored.

Just to calm the raging storm that is my unending rage for the ignorant masses that think Trump and Hitler are remotely comparable please bring up one valid example of how Trump is just like Hitler.
I got 99 complaints about Trump and Hitler ain't one.
Don't start this. I'm trying to eat dinner.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.