[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yo /lit/ My friends keep raving about this book, critical reviews

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 9780062315007_p0_v2_s192x300.jpg (20KB, 192x291px) Image search: [Google]
9780062315007_p0_v2_s192x300.jpg
20KB, 192x291px
Yo /lit/
My friends keep raving about this book, critical reviews look pretty decent, but reviews from sites like goodreads make it sound like shit. How is it?
>>
>>9040823
>critical reviews look pretty decent
Really? I thought the prevailing informed opinion was that it was unbelievably awful.

But anyway, I'll save you some time:
"A wealthy man of Baghdad who had lost all his money, in despair, lay down to sleep and in his dream heard a voice say, ‘Verily thy fortune is in Cairo. Go thither and seek it.’ So he set out for Cairo and in that city he was mistaken for a thief, seized by the police and beaten near to death.

After three days in a cell the Chief of Police sent for him, asking ‘Whence art thou?’ ‘From Baghdad,’ the prisoner replied, ‘I saw in a dream One who said to me, “Thy fortune’s in Cairo. Go thither to it.” ’ The Police Chief laughed and said, ‘Thrice have I seen in a dream One who said to me: “There is in Baghdad a house with a jetting fountain and under it a great sum of money lieth buried. Go thither and take it.” Yet I went not for I had no faith in an idle dream, which is only the foolery of sleep.’

The poor man was given money to return home by the Police Chief, whose dream of a house with jetting fountain perfectly resembled the man’s own house in Baghdad, so when the wayfarer returned to his city he at once dug underneath the fountain in his garden, and discovered a great treasure. Thus abundant fortune is given to the Blessed when the dreamer becomes the dreamt in another’s thrice seen dream.
>>
Shallow aphorisms floating in an "exotic" yet insipid story. The epitome of airport philosophy.

I, as a Brazilian, am compelled to dissuade you from reading this claptrap.
>>
>>9040823
Even Brazil, his own country, doesn't take him seriously.
>>
>>9040906
Thanks for the summary, m8
>>
It is always nice to have a paulo coelho's book in your home, so you can use it to wipe your ass, when you run out of toilet paper.
>>
>>9041611
Kek, nice digits
>>
>>9040823

Forever proof that "pronoia" should be discovered in conjunction with research made while reading something like Gravity's Rainbow, and to forever be avoided in whatever horseshit 'The Alchemist' tries to peddle you.

The book reads like when you leave a soda out all day and are left with shit only a hummingbird would be interested in
>>
>>9040823
This man
In my country
He is nothing
>>
>>9040961
Really? My English Prof told me that it was her favorite book.
>>
>>9040823
I read this 5 years ago and still have not read anything worse. Absolutely my least favorite book.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.