[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could you recommend some Muslim literature? I'm tired of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 8

File: Star_and_Crescent.svg.png (5KB, 220x207px) Image search: [Google]
Star_and_Crescent.svg.png
5KB, 220x207px
Could you recommend some Muslim literature?

I'm tired of people saying immigrants don't contribute.
>>
File: 1442776190784.jpg (46KB, 312x499px) Image search: [Google]
1442776190784.jpg
46KB, 312x499px
>>9033431
Don't respond to them, just report the trash.
>>
Reza Nagarestani - Cyclonopedia
>>
>>9033415
The (You)baiyat of Omar Khayyam
>>
>>9033415

Laylah et Majnun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbOsfyqRdj4
>>
My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk, he won a Nobel Prize for Literature.
>>
>>9033415
Why is this thread full of Arabic literature when the OP clearly asked for Muslim literature?
>>
>>9033415
>contribute
epic statist meme
>>
What are some good books written by Muslim women? Their culture is so fascinating, diverse, and expressive. My expectations are high.
>>
File: Islam.jpg (2MB, 2392x3968px) Image search: [Google]
Islam.jpg
2MB, 2392x3968px
>>
>>9033857
Lol Reza Aslan
>>
>>9033906
Problem?
>>
For religious, try the Qur'an, Sahih Bukhari.

If you want original authors, look at the early medieval Muslim philosophers, e.g. Al-Farabi, Avicenna, Ibn Khaldoun, etc.

For poetry try Omar Khayyam, google Ottoman literature, but a I personally like Magtymguly Pyragy from 18th c. Turkmenistan.

Modern stuff: Naguib Mahfouz, Mahmud Tarzi, Sadegh Hedayat, Iwan Simatupang, Namik Kemal, Ahmed Zaki Abu Shadi, Yasar Kemal, Orhan Pamuk, Furuzan, Mesa Selimovic, Ebrahim Al-Arrayedh, Abdelwahab Meddeb, Taha Hussein.

There are many more but check Turkish, Persian and Egyptian literature in particular. You'll find a lot to work with.

Good luck.
>>
>>9033965
He is a meme and an apologist.
>>
>>9033994
There's nothing wrong with being an apologist. It's just a guy that explains the religion. All religions have scholars and all texts have to be "interpreted." It isn't some new age postmodern shit to interpret stuff. It's the way it's always been, if not there would be no sheiks, rabbis, priests, or monks.
>>
>>9033994
If I'm going to be reading about Islam, I'd rather it be a Muslim doing the writing.
>>
>>9034047
I know plenty of non-Muslim authors who treat Islam fairly and plenty of Muslim authors who do a shit job in terms of their writing on religion.
>>
File: 1484845940089.jpg (181KB, 487x540px) Image search: [Google]
1484845940089.jpg
181KB, 487x540px
>>9033553

>Pamuk
>Hedayat
>Muslim

If you're going to taqqiya on my board at least do it right
>>
>>9034223

Oops you were supposed to be quoted as well >>9033978
>>
>>9033852
persepolis
>>
>>9033843
this lol
>>
Aloha Snackbar - Tales of a Hawaiian Jihadist
>>
>>9035815
kek.
>>
>>9035036
yup
>>
>>9033572
A brown person is a brown person
>>
BASED mods sending a message that racism will NOT be tolerated. Keep it up comrades, don't stop deleting these fascists
>>
>>9033415
start with the persians
>>
>>9033415
They do contribute to their own culture.

Their culture is not our culture so yeah immigrants don't contribute to the west in the way we want them too.....

If you don't understand that OP your misunderstanding what people mean when they say they don't want immigrants, some of the people anyway.
>>
>>
>>9033415
Don't waste your time, not when you have the pillars of civilization in the West, the true zenith of literature.
>>
>>9038727
MODS DELETE THIS RACIST
>>
>>9038733
>Guys, please tell me about medieval, irrelevant, and mediocre literature that is not even aimed at people like me, just so I can feel better about myself and add a couple of points to my tolerance skill set—unlike these fucking racists—all while ignoring the gems produced by 2600 years of cultural crystallization.
>>
>>9033415
Walter Benjamin
>>
>>9038727
>its bad to get a taste of foreign cultures

I'm sure you're really enlightened.
>>
>>9038754
>have never heard of any books mentioned
>have never read any books mentioned
>does not understand any books mentioned
>goes on imageboards to shitpost and compare books mentioned
>>
>>9038822
But I do get a taste of foreign cultures. I'm not from the US. I speak, read, and write in multiple languages. And the word you should've used in your argument is 'exotic', not 'foreign', as they're not perfect synonyms. Regardless, what I was implying is that your timeline is finite. And quite short for that matter. A couple of decades. Even less when you consider how much time you waste with sleeping and other activities. Now tell me, why should I even bother with reading something sub-par, when there are mountains of pages from actually progressive cultures, that have invested material and intellectual efforts in accumulating and disseminating more knowledge and creating masterpieces which have lasted for centuries (some of them even for millennia), and will continue to be studied and discussed in higher education and considered to be the paragon of achievement in Humanities, whether you come from EU, NA, or any developed nation. And this can also be proven factually, by the numbers of translations being released and reissued each year. So now you have to chose between being honest with yourself, trying to improve your condition, learning from the masters vs. scoring some shallow feel-good points, saying that you're nonracial on your résumé, bragging to your friends how hip and tolerant you are with every occasion you have, etc. To finally conclude, yes, I don consider myself to be enlightened, since I value my freedom (and the freedom to chose what I consider worthy of my time), instead of some backwards Sharia law that is incompatible (and in some cases hostile) with my culture. It would be retarded for me to do so (and I can use the word 'retarded' in this context, because it means 'regressive', 'foolish'). What artistic merit is there in a country that bans all artistic expression unless it's some ridiculous line generated pattern, because "God said so." And I'm not even going to mention the extreme nature of ruining statues and artifacts in the name of Allah.

tl;dr If there's something you should learn from literature, then: don't bend over; promote and value quality over anything else; cherish and protect the values given to you by your ancestors who suffered to get them to you now.
>>
>>9033415
HAFEZ
A
F
E
Z
>>
>>9038754
Gems like Aquinas, of course, who literally could not stop sucking Averroes' meaty cock.
>>
>>9033515
>>9033515
this

nick land done well, works well as horror because it makes TOO much sense, I actually have to space out the reading or else I start to feel schizo
>>
>>9038980
Averroes was Spanish you fucking retard
>>
>>9038980
Averroes was a defender of Aristotelian philosophy against Ash'ari theologians led by Al-Ghazali. Checkmate, Islamists.
>>
>>9038994
And also a Muslim.
>>9039022
And also a Muslim.
>muh Islam isn't a race so I'm not racist
>>
>>9033852
What kind, philosophic, historical, novel or are you just a troll?
>>
>>9038994
And? Spaniards can't be Muslims? Are you retarded?
>>
>>9033852
>Their culture is [...] diverse and expressive.
You don't say.
>>
>>9033415
An Islamic literary contribution would not have been one made to a non-Islamic culture.

Duh.

If it is Islamic /lit/ it was written for Muslims, or to provoke a conversion.

Islam is a religious ideology, and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with immigration.
>>
>>9038962

No one can possibly this autistic
>>
>>9034004
>It's just a guy that explains the religion
It's a guy who performs mental gymnastics to justify his awful belief.
>>
>>9041488
this. He is the worst person I could listen to for accurate fair information.
>>
>>9033852
kek
>>
>>9035033

>no veil
>intoxicating substances
>immodest western hairstyle and shirt
>possibly consuming education as well

HARAM!
>>
>>9041475
I give an augmented opinion and I get called autistic. Great. Next time I'll just green text it for you in some ghetto English. How's that for a literature board?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (74KB, 621x415px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
74KB, 621x415px
>Nothing worth reading has been posted yet.
Was this a joke thread?
>>
>>9042769
>good book written by a woman who is considered Muslim but not really Muslim
You don't say. If Muslim culture was literally just exotic things like camels, turbans and Arabian nights the world would be a better place.
>>
>>9043424
cyclonopedia
>>
WHY HASN'T ANYONE MENTION SIR MUHAMMAD IQBAL? HE'S THE GREATEST MODERN MUSLIM PHILOSOPHER WHO HAS WRITTEN IN PERSIAN, URDU AND ENGLISH. FOR HIS ORIGINAL WORKS IN ENGLISH PLEASE READ 'THE RECONSTRUCTION OF RELIGIOUS THOUGHT IN ISLAM' WHICH IS A PHILOSOPHICAL AND A MYSTICAL APPROACH TO THE RELIGION AND 'THE DEVELOPMENT OF METAPHYSICS IN PERSIA' WHICH WAS HIS PHD THESIS WHILE HE WAS IN GERMANY.

PLEASE CHECK OUT HIS FARSI AND URDU POETRY TOO, WITH RECURRING THEMES OF HUMAN EGO AND CONSCIENCE, ESPECIALLY 'ASRAR I KHUDI'. I'M SORRY FOR TYPING LIKE THIS BUT I'M GETTING EMOTIONAL AND HIS NAME HASN'T BEEN MENTIONED HERE. HE'S BY FAR THE GREATEST MODERN MUSLIM PHILOSOPHER, SCHOLAR AND POET AND I'M DARN SURE ALL OF /LIT/ WOULD LOVE HIM.
>>
>>9043652
I'M A DAKHNI URDU SPEAKING INDIAN YOU PLEB
>>
>>9043652
Iranians are OG aryans
>>
>>9043452
This.
>>
>>9033515
>>9038981
there's nothing to suggest he is Muslim
>>
>>9043880
I've been at lectures he's given where he says he grew up Muslim.
>>
>>9043887
again that doesn't make him Muslim
>>
>>9033515
>>9043452
this seems pretty fascinating, but do i have to be well-versed in deleuzean madness to get anything out of it?
>>
>>9043913
Ehh, sort of. You can struggle through it and enjoy a decent amount of it, but it really benefits you to read Deleuze or at least some of the Urbanomic crowd. Otherwise it's easy to get overwhelmed and give up (happened to me 3 or 4 times).

>>9043907
I don't know what you want. The guy writes about the middle east, grew up muslim, writes about Islam and its history, has written many articles and an entire book essentially dealing with the entire thematic history of Islam and its influence on the middle east. /shrug
>>
>>9043959
>I don't know what you want.
him saying he's Muslim?
try being born in Iran and not growing up Muslim
>>
>>9043972
What if he was a muslim when he wrote the book? What if he was a muslim up until the day before he began writing Cyclonopedia? What if he was a muslim when he wrote the book and then renounced the day he finished? What if he wasn't a muslim when he wrote the book but was during every other instant of his life?

Do you see how ridiculous this is? The guy grew up muslim, lived in the middle east, coherently engages the religion and its culture in most of his work. He has both a personal and theoretical knowledge of the religion and may or may not currently be a muslim (mostly likely not) - this does in no way make my recommendation not relevant to the topic.
>>
>>9038946
Polsters actually believe this
>>
>>9038754

>Very Unbog
>Will not guide humanity into new age of wisdom, peace, and love
>>
>>9038994

what are the moors
>>
>>9033857
This could use some kind of text that focuses solely on the period of Muhammad's life and the first few decades of Islam. From a historical perspective it is rather boring but it's very valuable to understand the actual story of prophethood in the same way you can for Judaism or Christianity. Sadly despite Islam having equal emphasis on a prophet story the Quran is not arranged in a way to tell that story to you, it's arranged as if someone took a roll of film, cut it into pieces of various lengths, threw out 95% of the film, and then rearranged the remaining parts into a compilation like a 3 minute long movie trailer. Gaining an understanding of what is going on while specific versed are being read goes a long way to help comprehension and while study Qurans often provide some context it is much easier to understand that context if you have an existing framework to plug individual events into. Many educated Muslims are versed heavily on this period in schooling, especially anyone who is considered a scholar, so having some working knowledge will help you in the same way reading a Bible or starting with the Greeks will help you understand European authors better.
>>
>>9043913
just read it slowly and try not to go insane thinking hamid parsani is 100% right
>>
>>9043880
>>9043887
he's shia (the good muslim kind) but the schizo in the book has a boner for zoroastrianism and weird heretical, syncretic shit
>>
File: btfo.png (101KB, 447x713px) Image search: [Google]
btfo.png
101KB, 447x713px
>>9033515
>>
>>9048690
>>9047018
>>9043988
This guy seems like an irl Abdul Alhazred, though I guess he's really the mad Persian
>>
>>9043468
ok
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.