[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should a philosopher strive to be himself or to overcome himself?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1471697042283.png (269KB, 500x514px) Image search: [Google]
1471697042283.png
269KB, 500x514px
Should a philosopher strive to be himself or to overcome himself?

Rational arguments only, Nietzschefags not invited lol
>>
File: 220px-Epicurus_bust2.jpg (15KB, 220x373px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Epicurus_bust2.jpg
15KB, 220x373px
>>9032624
Strive for moderate happiness in a life with minimal vice obviously.
>>
>>9032624
You can only (be) yourself by overcoming yourself
>>
>>9032642
>happiness
>moderation

get a load of this faggot.
>>
>>9032624
>implying there's a self

Words distort our souls. Only when we are silent and make no effort to know ourselves, can we know ourselves.

"The tongue is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison." (James 3:8)
>>
>be himself
this implies that something is impeding your beingness of self, therefore you must become yourself. this brings us to
>overcome yourself
becoming is overcoming and vice versa. every change is a transformation.

the question you asked is wrong. i fought the compulsion to write you off as a idiot, but it appears i wasn't wrong.

i leave you with a quote from rei's splendid work

>ONE CAN BE AS EXCELLENT AS ONE WANTS; ONE SHOULD BE AS EXCELLENT AS ONE CAN.
>>
>>9032624
Your phrasing of the question shows that you have a very infantile understanding of philosophy.

First, define your terms. What do you mean by self? Do you mean your current self in this moment? Do you mean your maximum potential self? Do you mean your initial self (the self reduced to basic human instincts)?

There are millions of ways you can define what you mean by 'self'. Hence why in philosophy it is often more useful to do away with the notion of a 'self' completely.
>>
>>9032674
no speaking in tongues please
>>
>>9032703
Your reply shows that you have a very autistic understanding of common vernacular.
>>
>>9032724
'self' is a common term in every day conversation, but in the realm of philosophy it actually describes a very complex concept, hence the need for specificity.

If you want to talk in laymans terms about this topic then thats fine, but if you want to talk within the scope of philosophy then you need to use the appropriate terminology.
>>
>>9032724
Your reply shows you don't actually want to engage in discourse.
>>
>>9032768
>>9032745
The careerist language game on point

You must get all the upvotes over at r/philosophy eh
>>
>>9032768
Your reply shows that your mind has been corrupted by what modern philosophy deems proper discourse completely ignoring OP's intentions

like a fucking autist.
>>
Self-identity is impossible because material things are constantly changing, even if this is not always visible or audible to us; we can't even say that an object is identical to itself in a given specific moment because time can't be divided up into moments like this. There's no "point" in time where we can find an object and be certain of its identity with itself.

Striving to "be yourself" is therefore a wild goose chase. It means nothing.
>>
>>9032624
Know thyself first, then pick your preference
>>
>>9032855
knowing different a/effects of different characteristics, determining or having determined the values there of, and choosing for ones actions to be aligned to the ones which appear to be for you 'most valuable' and/or 'for a gradient of others'.

Your self is first and foremost obviously, your body-mind, your minds (You) relation to its body-mind and 'everything that is not it/the world'.

Your self is, that which experiences, that which thinks, that which does, that which can comprehend, respond, see and make sense. Hold memory, contemplate, probabiliate, and predict the future. To project possible future versions of itself and what is not itself (the world), to then plan what to do, in this moment, and every next.
>>
>>9032674
You're trying way too hard

jus b urself OP if you're happy with what you are, if you're not then overcome yourself and become something you can be happy with
>>
>>9032830
>>/pol/
>>
File: LwkY2Rc.png (39KB, 914x1091px) Image search: [Google]
LwkY2Rc.png
39KB, 914x1091px
>>9032624
Just bee yourself, trust me anon ;)
>>
>rationality
top kek
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.