[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>just read A Little Cloud >realise I'll never amount

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: dubliners.jpg (493KB, 600x823px) Image search: [Google]
dubliners.jpg
493KB, 600x823px
>just read A Little Cloud
>realise I'll never amount to anything
Relatable as fuck desu. Even down to the "my name isn't Celtic enough" part.

What's your favourite story from pic related?
>>
I guess I liked Eveline.

I don't see the appeal though, reading about characters with disappointing lives. Literature should be relatable but also offer something to live up to. Sad or normal people just leave me indifferent.
>>
>>9028022
Art is an exercise in empathy
>>
>>9028022
I think that's a pretty immature opinion to have. Reading about unfulfilled and disadvantaged characters, especially if they're written in a relatable manner, gives me more ambition to change my life than stories about successful people. The latter is more vaguely reassuring than actually inspiring.
>>
>>9028005
I'm currently reading the stories, just two left. But so far I'd have to say "An Encounter" was my favourite.
>>
>>9028086
I suppose that's true.
Perhaps it's just because it shows parts of myself I'd rather not be reminded of. It seems to me that all great people were inspired by other greats, rather than reminiscing about the common frailties of humanity.
>>
>>9028103
Yeah that one was pretty funny
>>
>read A Little Cloud
>sudden urge to dump my gf
>>
>>9028005
I fucking hate that story.
>>
>>9028177
Why?
>>
>>9028022
>literature should be relatable

go back to r/books
>>
I really loved After The Race. Sure it isn't the most "interesting" of the stories, but the language used in the descriptions of the night is beautiful.

I guess I also relate to it, to some degree. I've felt the sort of hangover that comes from spending too much money.
>>
>live in Rathgar
>tons of Joyce stuff set near my house
>only read Dubliners

Must really get on that Ulysses
>>
>>9028235
Do you think it is a lot easier for an Irish person to understand Ulysses than foreigners?
>>
>>9028005
the dead

it's not even a question
>>
>>9028300
Probably.

But bear in mind Joyce grew up in Rathgar when it was pretty much Britain 2.0 so his view in Irish culture is somewhat different from someone born outside Dublin
>>
>>9028300

Definitely easier to understand a lot of Joyce's criticisms of Ireland anyway.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.