[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I feel like there's not enough time in life to read. I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

I feel like there's not enough time in life to read. I don't mean like, a busy schedule or something. I've had time off from work or school for a couple years no, and I read every single day, but I've been thinking about tackling a book like infinite jest, and just how much time that book would consume. That's an enormous chunk of your life, it would take at least 2 months to read, if not more. Do you ever just stop and think, life is too short to read stuff that's that huge? I wish they would expand life indefinitely so I wouldn't have to worry about things like this.
>>
I enjoy reading good books more than anything else so why would i consider it a waste of time?

I like long books especially because they cover a longer period of your life, making it fun to look back on
>>
>>9027248
>At least two months to read
Is this for reals.
>>
>>9027248

Assuming you read 100 pages per day, you can finish Infinite Jest in like 1.5 week.

Of course, you can read more than that per day, if you're really hooked for instance.
>>
>>9027256
The only book I was ever able to read 100 pages a day of was 1984 because that was super easy. I read a book like crime and punishment, I can only stand 20 pages a day of that. Maybe it's just not a good book for me, most of the books that are recommended on this board don't seem like good books for me.
>>
Alternative costs OP.

What would you be doing instead during that time? Is it worth more to you than reading?

If yes, is everything you do more valuable to you than reading? If no, then eliminate one of those activities instead.

Of course, you could simply be talking about reading more shorter books instead of one longer one. In this case it's completely up to preferences.
>>
File: abstract pepe.jpg (123KB, 423x620px) Image search: [Google]
abstract pepe.jpg
123KB, 423x620px
>>9027266
>>
>>9027248
Do what you enjoy. If you have a good reason for reading then you'll read without much effort. If you think you need to read a book because someone says that it's good, but you simply don't care enough then don't do it, because you won't really pay attention. You could also just start reading the book, and if within 50 pages you're not feeling it then put it down.
>>
Don't agree at all OP.

Combine reading or using audiobooks with other activities like commuting or exercise.

>>9027248

>2 months to read

I have literally never read a book for over two months that wasn't an impossibly difficult technical professional textbook where I had to practice the concepts the book was teaching as I was reading it for me to have a hope of it sinking in.
>>
>>9027248
tfw too intelligent to allow the thought of time to inhibit me from reading
>>
>>9027798
>I have literally never read a book for over two months that wasn't an impossibly difficult technical professional textbook where I had to practice the concepts the book was teaching as I was reading it for me to have a hope of it sinking in.
Wow, good for you. You're a really special guy.
>>
>>9027248
>I wish they would expand life indefinitely
I know that feel. What really gets me is the fact that at some point in the not-too-distant future that'll probably become medically possible, so we'll be one of the last generations to live stupid short natural lifespans.

Maybe the way to deal with it is to consider that if you had a thousand-year lifespan you'd probably spend 900 years of it shitposting online anyway.
>>
>>9027822
>Maybe the way to deal with it is to consider that if you had a thousand-year lifespan you'd probably spend 900 years of it shitposting online anyway.
I really hate it when people try to justify their mediocre lives in this way.
>>
>>9027850
???
>>
>>9027248

I kind of get what you mean.

There are SO MANY books I want to read.

I'm reading Gravity's Rainbow right now but I can only read for a couple hours a day, so it's gonna take me close to a month to finish.

I'm enjoying it but I can't stop thinking about everything I want to read afterwards, and every time I think about how much of the current book I have left I just feel frustrated. I still want to finish it but, I almost just wish I was NEET again so I had like infinite time to read...

I mean, I don't work a lot, but when you work it does feel like it cuts into your free time a lot, even if you still have plenty of free time. I don't know.
>>
>>9027888
I worry that this completist urge means I don't get the most out of the book I am reading. It's hard not to rush through to the next book.

Also, choice paralysis gets me pretty good.
>>
>>9027888
>Don't want to read any books, but hang out on /lit/ anyway

You're way ahead of me.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.