[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is anyone familiar with a solid Plato commentary? I really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 3pLIvvb.jpg (174KB, 1440x1764px) Image search: [Google]
3pLIvvb.jpg
174KB, 1440x1764px
Is anyone familiar with a solid Plato commentary?

I really loved Aquinas' commentaries on Aristotle's work, and it made me want to go back and explore Plato a little better.

I'm fine with going in dry, but i'm definitely going to miss a lot without a commentary.

I am admittedly a fucking retard for needing a commentary. Please help.
>>
>>9025085
The Great Courses has a series of lectures on Plato by a guy named Sugrue. It is EXCELLENT and worth the money.
>>
>>9025151
Thanks, ill check them out
>>
>>9025151
>worth the money
SWIM said they're online for free, too.
>>
File: playlist.gif (22KB, 661x312px) Image search: [Google]
playlist.gif
22KB, 661x312px
>>9025173
If you can find them for free, and acquire them for free, ask yourself: is that what they are worth? You are the one examining your life. Knock yourself out.
>>
Thr main thing is outlines of the arguments.. It's a little more difficult with dialogue style
>>
Imagine those legs crushing the life out of you while she jerks you off...
>>
>>9025186
Fucking winamp classic man nice one.
>>
Aquinas' commentaries on Aristotle are a genius commentating on a genius. That's a super-high bar.

The trouble with finding an equivalent for Plato is that most of these high-level commentaries were done in the Middle Ages by Christian and Muslim thinkers. Plato was virtually unknown to the West in the Middle Ages, because his works in their Ancient Greek had been lost to the West with the fall of the Western Empire. The only really common work of Plato in the West during the Medieval period was the Timaeus.

Apparently there are some ancient commentaries from Greeks and Romans. You might want to check those out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commentaries_on_Plato
>>
>>9025305
Thanks, I appreciate it. A friend told me the closest I would get was Proclus on Timaeus. I wish I would have started with that and then gone on to the Aquinas ones
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.