[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/, I just finished reading pic related and I haven't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 9987e1eba3746fbdc76c2d7ab2bb01f8.jpg (308KB, 763x1159px) Image search: [Google]
9987e1eba3746fbdc76c2d7ab2bb01f8.jpg
308KB, 763x1159px
Hey /lit/, I just finished reading pic related and I haven't had this much fun reading a book in a long time. Please show me other books like it.
>>
Which translation did you read, cuck?
>>
>>9022805
Diana Burgin and Katherine Tiernan O'Connor
>>
>>9022780
If you want the same feel plus none of the fun try a darkness at noon. If you want all the fun plus non of the feel try a hard boiled wonderland at the end of the world
>>
>>9022818
You fuck up.
>>
>>9022824
Thanks, I'll read whichever one I can find first.

>>9022825
Which translation should I have read?
>>
>>9022824

> If you want all the fun plus non of the feel try a hard boiled wonderland

But that book left me full of feelings feelings of rage. I wanted to hurl the book across the room at the ending
>>
File: mmcomparison.jpg (256KB, 1035x409px) Image search: [Google]
mmcomparison.jpg
256KB, 1035x409px
Catch-22, sort of. It sure is in the same funny vein while presenting a satirical yet often quite sincere view of pilots in the air force and war and all the absurdities that come with it. However, it doesn't hold a candle to the narrative or symbolism of Bulgakov when much of the book is cleverly based off of just one joke.

And regarding >>9022825 I've actually read the translation for the Everyman hardcover edition by Michael Glenny and ordered the Diana Burgin one from a friend. I find the Glenny one to be superior, though not by too much of a margin, some of the terms used in the Burgin translation felt too "westernized" though the humor still probably holds up on the first read. And I don't know, comparing them side to side the language by Glenny seems a lot more "effective". Perhaps the P&V translation may also be worth checking out as I find their translation of Notes From Underground to be superb in tone and voice compared to others
>>
>>9022967
Holy shit how can one man have such terrible tastes in translations? The fucking Glenny version? P&V?
>>
>>9022971
If you can find a better translations for the works mentioned I'm all for it anon. I've always been inherently biased by the first translation I read and by your attitude you're presumably more well-versed on the topic. I'm especially curious as to a better translation of Notes, I'm well aware that of the criticism P&V get with Tolstoy and other Dosto works
>>
>>9022995
I haven't read any versions of Margarita or Notes.
>>
>>9023005
Almost had me.
>>
File: 1393936895619.jpg (79KB, 680x497px) Image search: [Google]
1393936895619.jpg
79KB, 680x497px
>implying there is a good English translation
>tfw I speak a language that's been influenced enough by Russian that the translation is as accurate as can be, retaining all the subtleties of expression and perfectly conveying the word-plays and puns, which an English translation can never achieve due to the languages being too different
Sometimes living in a post-soviet country is a good feel.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.